Good Pre-fix Dinners in Montreal?
I used to live in Paris and now am in Chicago. I love how in both cities you can find great restaurants with reasonabley priced pre-fix menus. Can anyone recommend some restaurants that will hit the spot and a well-priced, high quality pre-fix?
Sorry for the confusion! I'm just looking for restaurants that generally offer the appetizer, main course, and dessert deal for one fixed price. La Chronique is a little out of my price range. La Brunoise sounds like a good choice. If anyone has any other ideas, perhaps around $45 or below, that'd be great! Thanks!
Table d'hôte is more popular than prix fixe. Many small restos work on that basis. For example, at Au cinquième péché, the price of any main plus $10 gets you choice of soup or salad, the main, choice of dessert and coffee/tea/tisane. At other places, Au petit extra, for example, the price of the main also includes soup or salad and coffee/tea/tisane, with fancy first courses and dessert costing extra; this "formula" is especially popular at BYOBs.
But back to prix fixe. Off the top of my head, here are a few others to add to your list:
- Decca 77 has a $35 prix fixe (choice of 3 firsts, 3 mains and 3 desserts)
- Cocagne has prix fixe menus at $25/$30 (the higher price includes dessert), $35/40 and $52
- Vertige has all bases covered with table d'hôte, tasting and two $39 prix fixe menus (dubbed "menus découvertes")
- Europea's $45ish table d'hote is actually a prix fixe
- Some BYOBs have adopted the prix fixe formula too. Les Héritiers's "menu de dégustation" is a prix fixe in everything but name.