Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Jun 10, 2007 06:44 AM


Is there another name for this cut of meat? I live in the northeast and have never seen this cut. My brother (from the west coast) talks about marinating and grilling this steak. I would love to try this. Let me know. Thanks

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I had it at my brother's in California. The only place I've seen it here in NJ is at Whole Foods. Quite pricy though.

    1. berna, a tri-tip is just called a tri-tip, to the best of my knowledge, at least here in the States.

      If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry them (Australian beef; not as good as what they used to carry, but still good).

      2 Replies
      1. re: LindaWhit

        Actually there are quite a few names for a tri-tip which is a lot more popular on the West Coast where the awesome Santa Maria barbecue makes it sing! The fact that you'll only get two per cow means you don't often see it on display and, in the NE, you may have to pre-order.

        Other names include: triangular/traingle roast, bottom sirloin butt, corner cut, culotte steak and, I think, knuckle cap.

        1. re: piggywiggy

          I understood the culotte steak was a cut FROM the tri-tip roast, not the whole roast itself.

        1. re: hannaone

          Great info, thanks everyone. Now I'll know what to ask the butcher for!

        2. I've been buying at Trader Joe's, where I jst got Australian beef as mentioned above. If I remember correctly about $4.50 a pound. This is the only place I've ever seen it in NY, though I haven't asked a butcher. At TJ's , it's labeled tri-tip.

          1. In Austria it's called the Tafelspitz, or table-corner, and is the favored cut for Viennese boiled beef. I discovered this some time after I'd braised one as an experiment - a very successful experiment, by the way - and my father-in-law (who loves to grill them) was so outraged at the notion he could hardly speak. When I mentioned the Viennese connection to him, he claimed it just reinforced his belief that Germans couldn't cook!