Recap: A Week In Oregon (Portland, Freeport, Ashland, etc)
- biskuit May 31, 2007 02:58 PM
Just got home from a week in Oregon, thanks for the suggestions of prior posters.
- Rogue Creamery near Medford - awesome raw milk cheddar and blue cheeses, great shop for all sorts of yummy foods
- Riteway Meat, Dundee - excellent beef jerky with great smoke flavor and very good pepperoni sticks
- Local Ocean Seafood, Westport - great little place with serious food and good beer (Rogue among others), awesome garlic and crab bisque
- Stumptown Coffee, Portland - wow those lattes are amazingly good
Wild Wood Cafe, McMinnville - fun place, good breakfast
Illahee Inn Restaurant & Bakery, Glide - solid Americana, excellent avocado BLT and burgers
Sweet Basil Thai, Eugene - very good all around
Voodoo Donuts, Portland - fun, funky, crazy, but not nearly as tasty as The Donut Plant in New York (which is my top donut destination, followed by The Donut Hole in Destin Florida, then a good old hot off the press Krispy Kreme)
Park Kitchen, Portland - frankly, a bit disappointing given the raves, everything was good but nothing was exceptional
Eh, not so much:
Domaine Drouhin winery - lovely lovely lovely setting, not impressed with the wines they were pouring though (two from France, one local, none of them better than average)
Abacela winery - I love their Malbec, but they were sold out of that, the five others we tried were all poor to mediocre
Google Earth suggests that there's a Freeport in Illinois, Texas, New York, Florida, Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Minnesota, Michigan, and Kansas, but doesn't list Oregon as a possibility. I'm guessing that the OP meant Newport instead, especially since Newport is where Local Ocean Seafood is located.
I am so impressed to see the Illahee on chowhounds! Their desserts, particularly berry pies are standouts. Save room.