San Diego Dinner for 15- Interesting, low cost
A Tall Order
In town Saturday for a psychology convention. Would like a unique/interesting restaurant. Our group includes graduate student so it shouldn’t be too expensive. Any ideas?
I have seen groups of 10-12 people at The Linkery. It is one of my favorite "neighborhood" restaurants currently in SD. You might give them a call if they can handle 15 people.
Where is your convention or hotel. Knowing where you are can really help narrow down the options.
* Modus might be an option, especially as the night gets older. It won't break the bank, and skip dessert (it's the weakest course).
* I think the Linkery falls into the interesting category, but I'm not sure how easily they could accommodate 15 on a Saturday night.
* Terra in Hillcrest is nice without being over the top or super expensive.
* The Guild in Barrio Logan is getting some prime buzz; small plates, interesting decor
* Mama Testa could probably accommodate a party of 15 and make it a party at that. It's an all taco restaurant, but very good tacos they are, best salsa bar in town, not fancy or trendy.
* Vagabond in South Park has fans, though I'm not one of them (crowded, noisy, hot and food is inconsistent. But the mussels are stellar)
* The 3rd Corner is definitely interesting, sort of a restaurant and retail wine shop all rolled into one. Stays open late, til 2 AM
what is not "too expensive"? I've been to Guild several times and give it a BIG thumbs up. if your convention is downtonw, Guild is not far away.
I'd suggest Red Pearl Kitchen, downtown. It's a lively fun atmosphere, and kind of hipster cool and the Asian fusion food is very good. I think it's one of the most affordable places to take a group for a good meal. On the downside, it can be very crowded on Saturday nights and it might be tough to get a reservation for that many people less than a week in advance.
You might also consider the Bondi downtown, I don't know what their prices are like, but it's new and Australian and supposedly has very cool interior decor. The Guild in Barrio Logan also has a side room where they might be able to seat you if you were willing to eat early.
There are many good buffet deals in "Convoy" Sunrise Buffet - around $10-$15/person for a fulfilling meal. or East Buffet - address and location is 8998 Miramar Rd. phone # 858-566-1888 or 858-566-6188 in San Diego. They both have all sorts of Asian dishes... vegetarian/seafood/meat/salads/dessert/sushi