Jam out overnight - any good?
Accidentally left out my preserves overnight and wonder if it's still safe to eat. I'm thinking yes, but hoped someone out there has more than a vague guess about this.
If it makes a difference, it's a commercial brand that does contain sodium benzoate. Everything else is fruit/sugar/pectin.
They should be fine -- they'd be too sugary and too acidic for any nasty gazigglies to set up housekeeping in that quickly.
In fact, I think that the greater risk for leaving a preserves out is them drying up and getting stiff. That, and losing flavour.
Absolutely fine - no problem. Depending on how quickly you go through a jar, you may not need to refrigerate it at all. I do because I'm a pretty infrequent consumer - if I don't keep my jams in the fridge they get moldy. But overnight should not do it any harm.
I'm pretty sure the only thing that can go wrong with even homemade jams or jellies is mold. We always just kept ours on a shelf when I was growing up, and if they were homemade we used the paraffin disk as the lid...and if they got a little moldy on top we'd just scrape it off and wash the lid. That was sixty-some years ago, and I've had no symptoms so far...