Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
May 11, 2007 08:29 AM

Rustically Shaped Pasta

Does anyone know the name of the pasta rustically cut from long flat pieces?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I think that you are thinking of either pappardelle or tagliatelle.

    3 Replies
    1. re: chefbec

      I agree here ... pappardelle (broader) or tagliatelle are cut from lasagna-like sheets. Malfaldine have the ridged edges. See the links for images.




      1. re: Cheese Boy

        Thanks everyone for your replies.
        Cheese boy, I have looked at all the links and none of them look like the pasta that I had. The pieces were actually wider, almost square or rectangle shaped if they had not been cut so rusticaly.

    2. I believe they're called "maltagliati", or "badly cut".

      1. This reminds of pasta that's called "rags". It's irregular pieces torn from a large sheet of pasta. I know it has another name, but can't think of it.

        2 Replies
        1. re: Pat Hammond

          and then there is fazzoletto, or handkerchief pasta, which would be more nicely cut large thin squares

          1. I used to make a random cut pasta called straccheti (sp.) when I was the pasta b@#$h (yes thats what they called me!) at my first restaurant job. It was a very random cut fresh pasta served with mushrooms in a veal reduction with herbs.