Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Chicago Area >
May 10, 2007 07:02 PM

I need a gift certificate to a great restaurant!

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a gift certificate to a great Chicago restaurant for a friend who is getting married. I do not live in Chicago and am completely unfamiliar with the restaurant scene, thus I am looking for you help.

Said friend has a diverse palate so there really are no limitations other than it should be something on the formal side (ie somewhat expensive) and appropriate for a wedding gift.

Thanks in advance for your help.


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I always think a great gift is something that the person would not buy for themself. Maybe look at some top of the line spots like Trotter's, Alinea, Tru, Spiaggia,North Pond, etc. There is also a Chicago consortium (not sure if that is the right term) called Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises. They have a number of different places at various formality levels that give your friends some flexibility and choice. I think that if you try Frontera Grill there may be quite a wait due to their recent award and publicity.

    1 Reply
    1. re: fryrose

      I agree that a gift certificate to the Lettuce Entertain You restaurants is a great idea, for the reason that fryrose mentions, to give them some choice. If they want to use it for an expensive, splurge dinner, they can use it to go to Everest, Tru, or Ambria. If they like steaks, they can go to Wildfire. If they like seafood, they can use it at Shaw's or Joe's. They have some less expensive restaurants, too. You can buy gift certificates on their website at

      For even more flexibility, you can buy a "Be My Guest" card from American Express's website, and it's good at any restaurant that accepts their credit card.