PHX - Whats your favorite calorie splurge?
- winedubar Apr 25, 2007 03:32 PM
Alright peeps, I'm curious. What is your favorite indulgence when calories and fat grams be damned?
I think I have a 3 way tie :
1. Cheese Enchilada's at Carolina's - I do believe I could drink the red sauce. It's amazing, and what , $3.50?
2. Carne Asada Torta at Phx Ranch Market - I can feel my arteries begin to clog as they pile on the meat, guac, crema, queso fresca, what appears to be margarine before the botillo bread hits the grill. I'm glad I have health insurance
3. Tammie Coe Ooey Gooey Cupcakes - They are to die for. And they don't scrimp on the frosting - its a solid 2 inches of frosting....mmmmmmmmmmm yummy Butter is better for you than margarine, right??
Anyone have any fav's to add? :)
This is easy...
1) Fry Bread House - order anything, don't step on the scale for a week.
2) Luke's of Chicago - Italian beef (provolone cheese, hot peppers) w/an RC Cola.
3) Chicago Hamburger Co. - sliders
4) Snickerdoodle from LGO (Tammie Coe) - meal-in-a-cookie
I'm sure I'll think of more as the afternoon wears on...
-- a big meatball wedge on a long crusty roll slathered in red sauce and melted cheese
-- any variation on a cheesesteak sandwich
-- a hearty white clam or meatball or pepperoni pizza
-- a massive plate of lasagna or baked ziti
-- a calzone
-- an oversized or double cheeseburger, perhaps with bacon, and fries, washed down with good, full-bodied brew
-- a chocolate brownie sundae with hot fudge
-- a chimichanga stuffed with carne seca or carnitas, topped with guacamole
-- one of those ridiculously sized meat sandwiches or egg-and-potato-based breakfasts at Scott's Generations or Chompie's
-- a large (1lb. or more), juicy, well-marbled (strip, porterhouse, ribeye) steak with a plate of lyonnaise potatoes on the side
-- an enormous chicken-fried steak (ala TexAz) and steaming mound of lumpy mashed potatoes, all smothered in peppery creamy gravy
-- plates of fried clams, fried oysters, fried shrimp, fried onion rings, and french fries, after finishing my whole lobster that was dipped bite by bite in warm drawn butter
1. Croissant or anything sweet from au petit four
2. the raisin/date/granola bars at the downtown market
3. DQ Blizzard
4. Pan Dulce and horchata at Ranch Market.
pedestrian, yes, but.... when i think "calorie splurge" i'm thinking The Melting Pot. Seriously, I'm not even sure how one would go about beginning to calculate the amt of calories in a meal there. i'm not sure the technology has been invented.
The Taco/Enchilada combo platter at Filiberto's.
That certainly qualifies as a guilty pleasure, and considering the piles of cheese and pools of grease in the styrofoam container, it's a guilty pleasure that would require breaking the next-size-up pants out of the closet.
Chimichangas. Meat, wrapped in dough, deep fried and smothered in sauce, cheese, guac, sour cream, accompanied by beans, rice and a big bowl of deep fried chips as a starter. If you follow this with fried ice cream you've pretty much broken just about every dietary taboo.
I'm with winedubar...
Tammie Coe Ooey Gooey Cupcakes
Bean and Cheese Chimichanga with sour cream and guac from Carolina's, tied with a bean and chorizo burrito, double-wrapped with sour cream and loaded with hot sauce
Anything from FBH
Founder's favorite @ Cold Stone
Spinach stuffed pizza from Oregano's (closest I can find to nostalgic pizza from my childhood in Chicago), and the pizzookie
My big one is the chocolate and butter frybread at the Fry Bread House. Oh man, so gooooood!
Anything on the menu at Lo-Lo's Chicken & Waffles. Chicken, waffles, grits, killer red velvet cake, and a cardiologist on speed dial, please.
The pizzookie at Oregano's is the quintessential splurge sweet.