anyone have any thoughts on it? I have a reservation on monday night to eat with my gf...any recs, opinions etc?
i actually have an upcoming reservation here (not chosen by me) and was unsure about it simply due to having not heard very much about the restaurant, the couple who made the reservation i think will very much enjoy the atmo, but for the rest of the group might be less into the "stuffy" aspects... this is a party of 6, for a dinner in two weeks - should i suggest an alternative? or will the experience be enjoyable enough to all? we still would be looking for a quiet, non-trendy, delicious place for a special occasion...
So i went here last night, it was good although it is a little stuffy, I like Scallinatella better. The restaurant is nice although in a kind of old-fashioned way. Service was good albeit somewhat slow, which maybe intentional. Here is what we had:
1) Maryland crabmeat napoleon with asparagus and a spicy crème fraiche finished with marinated mango - thought this was too sweet, wouldn't recommend, wasn't bad, but just didn't think it was great
2) Risotto with mushrooms and petit peas from Provence topped with crispy zucchini - this was excellent, i liked this dish alot
3) New Zealand langoustines over celery root puree with a balsamic and black truffle cream sauce - this was also excellent
4) Salmon - i got a salmon with a red beet puree, it was cooked well, but the sauce was too sweet for my taste, so it was good, but not great
5) Caramelized banana tart, caramel gelato and dark rum butter sauce - pretty good, i thought it was well prepared and not too sweet
6) Praline and tiramisu tart with cappuccino gelato and chocolate painted phyllo - not the best i've ever had, but pretty good
Overall, I was happy with the meal.