HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >

Getting food in your garbage disposal

chowNYC Apr 4, 2007 08:58 AM

Instead of using my hands or a piece of silverware, do any stores make anything that you can use to shove food down your garbage disposal? I think I once saw a plastic rounded object at a friend's house but she didn't remember where she got it.

I live in NYC - know of any kitchen stores that might sell something like this? I don't think they had anything at Bed, Bath and Beyond (seemed like a place that might carry it). I'd also buy online if needed.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Megiac RE: chowNYC Apr 4, 2007 09:33 AM

    You can just use a round vegetable brush for that purpose.

    Aren't garbage disposals illegal in NYC?

    4 Replies
    1. re: Megiac
      eLizard RE: Megiac Apr 4, 2007 09:57 AM

      they're not illegal anymore....

      1. re: Megiac
        chowNYC RE: Megiac Apr 5, 2007 08:33 AM

        Not illegal at all. Would rather not use a utensil that I use for cleaning veggies to push egg shells, raw meat, etc in a disposal. Any other ideas?

        1. re: chowNYC
          Candy RE: chowNYC Apr 5, 2007 12:14 PM

          The item you are loking for is called a Super Stuffer. Amazon and other places carry them. http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-pss..., Cooks.com etc. Buy 2-3. Even though i run mine through the dishwasher occasionaly they get stained a grubby after a couple of years.

          1. re: Candy
            chowNYC RE: Candy Apr 6, 2007 08:48 AM

            THANK YOU!!!!

      2. w
        wayne keyser RE: chowNYC Apr 7, 2007 05:05 PM

        What? You're not even CLOSE to losing a finger, you're several inches away from any danger, if you just sweep everything into the opening with your hand, never venturing past the slotted rubber gasket.

        Show Hidden Posts