Mexican Side Dish
My husband loves good old fashion hard shell tacos. Only problem is we have a difficult time finding a side to go along with it...other than the good old fashion corn bread. Any ideas or recipes?
I'll often make a bean salad when I'm serving something like tacos - black beans, chopped tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, green onion, maybe some frozen corn (it thaws quickly in the mix) a splash of lime juice and maybe a little olive oil. Or you could make a spicy slaw - thinly sliced cabbage with lime juice and oil, maybe some cumin seeds, chopped peanuts even.
My to go Mexican Side is Chayote, which is a Mexican squash that you can liven up a dash of cayanne. Also, a salad of corn, black beans, onions and peppers is always nice! :D
I usually make pinto beans and a green salad with a chili lime vinaigrette.
If you don't want to do the pinto beans from scratch (frijoles de la olla), a short cut that produces tasty beans in about a tenth of the time is to sautee a couple of tablespoons of diced onion, green pepper, garlic and tomato in butter or oil, then add your can of whole pinto beans (with liquid) and some cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes and viola!
For the salad, I made a mixed green salad with lettuce, tomato, green onion and avocado and dress with a vinaigrette made with 2-1/2 parts oil to 1 part lime juice (to taste), and season with salt, pepper, chili pepper flakes, honey, etc.
I'm a big fan of sautéed spinach with garlic. It's the little black dress of side dishes - goes with everything.
Another good one is jicama salad.
- Jicama and cucumber spears sprinkled with lime juice and chile powder
- Sliced tomatoes and avocados drizzled with french dressing or mild viniagrette
- Second the recco for chayote. If you can't find that sub zucchini, crookneck or patty pan squash
- Corn on or off the cob. Boil with a couple of sprigs of epazote, omit if you can't find, cut off the cob and toss with crema or mayo. Sprinkle with chile powder and cotija cheese and a squeeze of lime
- Grilled onions: red onion slices, knob onions, or scallions
- Ceasar salad
- Fruit salad
- Yucca chips