Savoy (Alhambra) Review--Excellent
I've seen Savoy mentioned various times on the blog, but I never saw an officially review of the restaurant. Since I was there last week, here goes:
Savoy is located on Valley Blvd, two blocks east of Garfield. It's a hole in the wall located in the corner and close to Phoenix Restaurant.
There were 2 of us and we ordered the following:
1) Hainan Chicken Rice (this is their signature dish and I believe it is the best Hainan chicken rice dish in all of Los Angeles, and I have been to many HK style cafes with this dish): the chicken was tender, the rice was tasty and flavorful, and their sauces accompanying the dish were excellent. No wonder almost every table had an order of this stuff.
2) Chicken Broth: this is my first time trying this, but it was excellent. The broth was very tasty without being too salty and there were bits of chicken cube at the bottom. Definitely give this a try on a cold day
3) Curry Beef Stew: it was a bit on a salty side, but the curry sauce was very tasty and good. The beef stew was cooked perfectly to tenderness, and there was a lot of beef and potatos that came with the dish. I may actually prefer Garden Cafe's curry sauce, but Savoy's is good and would be better if it was just a tad less salty.
4) Iced Coffee: good
5) Chrysantanum tea: refreshing
Other things I have tried the loved:
1) Pasta (linguine with pork tenderloin in meat sauce): this is a very yummy dish as the pasta is tasty and cooked with the sauce and the pork is extremely tender. It comes with fresh bread and a side salad with a very good dressing. The only complaint is sometimes the dish is on the watery side, but it is nonetheless very tasty.
2) Roasted Chicken Salad: the chicken is good and the dressing is excellent. Need I say more?
3) Vietnamese Spring Rolls: pretty good appetizer
Overall, this place is a good deal, with almost every dish being in the under $7 or $8 range. I'd highly recommend it for to-gos. They are really quick, and usually you will be in and out in 5 minutes if you order the Hainan Chicken and 10 minutes if you order the pasta. This is without calling in your order ahead of time. The only downside is the parking can be horrendous at times, and you may need to park on the street and hike to the restaurant.
Thanks for the review! I had heard a lot about the Hainan chicken and when I tried it was not disappointed. It is a curiously simple dish, but it can be wildly addictive. The curry fish is also a favorite there. The fish is deepfried and nicely crunchy and the curry adds the perfect flavor to it.
Savoy is an awesome place. my wife and I eat there a lot. Their Filet Mignon is also very good. Don't forget to try the shrimp eggroll appetizer also!
+1 on the Hainan Chicken and Tea! Agree with your description. I could eat that ginger sauce all day! I would put it on everything! Would drive from South OC to eat there again.