HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
What's your latest food project?
TELL US

What would you do if...

grocerytrekker Mar 16, 2007 10:13 AM

...the restaurant reservations you've had for a while (the kinds that ask you to call 2 months in advance) are in jeopardy because of flight cancellations due to weather?

Do you

a) try to get in later at all costs, red-eye, or the next day (no guarantee you'll get a flight then, either
c) fly to another city close enough - you'll eventually get there, you hope
b) get the full refund/travel credit and try to reserve again some other time (d i s a p p o i n t m e n t...)

  1. j
    Janet from Richmond Mar 16, 2007 10:17 AM

    I would cancel and try again in warmer weather.

    1. a
      abowes Mar 16, 2007 10:43 AM

      I would try again some other time. The mood I would be in by the time I finally managed to make it to the restaurant would substantially detract from the experience for me.

      2 Replies
      1. re: abowes
        j
        Janet from Richmond Mar 16, 2007 10:47 AM

        That was my line of thinking also.

        1. re: abowes
          Davwud Mar 22, 2007 05:22 PM

          Or be just the thing to right the ship sorta speak.

          DT

        2. hotoynoodle Mar 16, 2007 08:05 PM

          goodness, are you flying simply to eat someplace? if i positively had to fly, i'd be so stressed from the delays and nonsense, i'd be happy with a bag of nuts from the mini bar and a hot bath.

          could always call the place and explain the deal, and see if they could squeeze you in the next day.

          1. m
            marlie202 Mar 17, 2007 08:29 AM

            I would cancel and rebook at a later time--sometimes things happen for the best-can't explain why..

            1. m
              MikeG Mar 17, 2007 10:23 AM

              Well, if you had JetBlue tickets, I'd definitely say option (c). ;)

              1. LindaWhit Mar 18, 2007 09:49 AM

                Definitely cancel and rebook when you can hope for better weather conditions. As abowes said, the mood you'd be in would definitely detract from the overall experience and if you're going to drop some coin at what sounds like a high-end restaurant, you want to be able to fully enjoy it.

                1. free sample addict aka Tracy L Mar 18, 2007 02:46 PM

                  I'd give them a call and see what they advise. Given the weather situation they may have a game plan for accomodating out of town guests.

                  1. jfood Mar 19, 2007 05:36 PM

                    Short story about flying.

                    Scene - 1985, Houston International Airport trying to get home to NJ. Rolling through the area are tremendous Texas summer storms, winds gusting, incredible rain. Six hours at the gate. Crew thinks a window is coming and we all board like stupid lemmings. I look out the window and see the window is not only closing but getting slammed shut from the west. Pilot comes onto the PA with the following (something that I remember and repeat often, even yesterday on my Atlanta to Atlanta flight, but that's another story)

                    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we missed our window but let me tell you something I learned 25 years ago. I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there, than up there wishing I was down here."

                    Can the reso, rebook and go home and try again another time.

                    1 Reply
                    1. re: jfood
                      spigot Apr 1, 2007 07:18 PM

                      Great story, jfood.

                    2. a
                      abowes Mar 20, 2007 06:08 AM

                      So... what happened in the end???

                      1 Reply
                      1. re: abowes
                        grocerytrekker Mar 21, 2007 07:48 PM

                        I actually made it to New York. (Couldn't bear to cancel the res :) Reviews coming up soon.

                         
                         
                      Show Hidden Posts