TOP LATE NIGHT DINING IN FLA
Late night can mean different things in different markets. Down here in SOBE things tend to stay open later, the norm being 10pm during the week and 11pm on weekends, so any places that go beyond the norm in your area are worthy of mention, if the food is good. Obviously, quality and quantitiy tend to suffer the later it gets which is why I think this thread will serve us and our visitors well here in the FLA. They are listed in the order they come to mind.
1. News Cafe-24/7 South Beach. The original. And although it may have slid some over the years, you can still quell your craving no matter what the hour. Eggs Smoked Salmon (Benedict Style) is still one of my favorite dishes anywhere. Salads excel as does their Tomato Soup and Mid-Eastern Platter. Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes, Garlic and Basil also does the trick.
2. Big Pink-M-W 12am, Th 2am, F-S 5am South Beach. This varied late night menu works well when many other kitchens have since gone to sleep.
3. La Sandwicherie-5am 7 days. South Beach. The French sandwich shop has been here since the 80's! Having grown up in NY where they pile on the meat, it took some time to get used to these sammies where they load up on the veggies and skimp on the meat. Their dijon sauce takes these grinders over the top! And where esle can you get Pate and Saussison Sec in the wee hours? Salads are nice too!
4. Pizza Rustica-hours vary per store. The original on Washington and 9th in South Beach has always been there late enough for me. Big square slices cut into 4. I ask them to cut mine into 6 and leave it in the oven a touch longer for added pizza pleasure!
5. Cafeteria-24/7 South Beach. Altough I have only dined here once, their 24/7 hours and Lincoln Road location are noteworthy!
6. Loco Taqueria aka San Loco-5am weekdays 6am weekends South Beach. Should you get a late night hankerin' for "stupid sauce" you deserve culo loco aka montezuma with your hangover!
7. Puerto Sagua-2am 7 days South Beach. Cuban on Collins.
8. Versailles-Hours vary throughout the week Little Havana (kinda sorta). Cuban Cuban and more Cuban ala Cuban...VAYA!
9. Peter Pan Diner-24/7 Fort Lauderdale. Where would late night dining be without diner food? This place does it and well.
10. Shuckers-2am 7 days North Bay Village (Miami). This waterfront oasis in a Best Western is one of the best sports bars in town. In addition, their Special Grilled Wings are off the chart! A nice watering hole with good grub.
1 - Yakko San - outstanding, unusual Japanese tapas, open till 3:30am, will often find kitchen staff from other restaurants there for late-night dinner after their shift is done.
2 - Cafeteria - open 24 hours, varied menu, usually pretty well prepared. Green eggs & ham!
3 - Lester's Diner - 24 hour old-school greek diner. Close to FTL airport.
1. Versailles, Miami. Where both the tourists and the locals go. Net's nailed it.
2. News Cafe -- another score for Net. I normally steer toward the salads, but eating breakfast at 2 a.m. PLUS the awesome scenery of Ocean Drive craziness -- perfect!
3. Ocean View Diner, Indialantic (Brevard County), where US 192 meets A1A on the beach. Heavy Greek-style 24-hr diner. Gyro meat and eggs at 4 a.m.? YES. Makes me wish I was drunk right now so I could go. . .
4. Just the thought of it makes my belly hurt, but when I was studying late at UM (well, up late, not necessarily studying, lol), we'd always hit Miami Subs, which was open until 4 a.m. Pitas, seasoned fries, and Dom P if that's your choice!
5. Despite its partying reputation (especially this week) not much in Daytona's open late. However, I had nice drinks with the girls at Mai Tai's in the Ocean Walk complex on the beach, first floor overlooking the sand near the bandshell. Not sure how long they serve food, but we saw people ordering pretty late and it looked awesome -- sort of Asian fusion-y. My friend affirms the food is tasty, and we've already made a date to go back (during the daytime) so I can have some. (Plus their house special Plantation Punch, at about $4, is huge and delicious and comes with a fashionable flower for your hair!)
re: Covert Ops
yes indeed Bizzarro's is still there (and expanding all the way to A1A). The venerable Pig and Whistle Pub in Cocoa Beach serves till 2AM (it too is moving to the old A1A Florist site) and Chris still makes a mighty fine microwave pizza till 2am at Nancy's Casablanca on Minuteman in CB.
re: Covert Ops
In Daytona, McK's has pretty decent food, even before the late night hour. I'm going to college in Daytona, and frequently go out to McK's at 11pm or later for a burger, or one of their tasty sandwiches. Their chicken and tuna salads are not too bad either, and the prices are pretty good. I have occaisionally had a slightly-undercooked (to me, at least) burger, although I like mine well-done.
218 S Beach St, Daytona Beach, FL 32114
I think it is a safe bet that the best late night dining in FL is in Miami. It is hard to find a good spot late at night along the St. Pete beaches. My husband and I ended up at Foxy's on Treasure Island one night and I think it was about 12:30. I was glad they were open but it was nothing to write home about.
Ybor is usually still hopping in the wee hours but I'm not sure what's open late. The Columbia maybe? And serving food? No, I don't think so.
I guess I could start driving at 8:30 from Tampa to catch the wee hours in SoBe. Or maybe someone else has some other suggestions for this side of FL.
re: Tandoori Girl
Speaking of St Pete Beach: Vito & Michael's for late nite pizza - 7704 Blind Pass Road. Haven't been in probably a year or so, they were always open real late.
Have never tried during day, but a good stop after a nite out, try their "garbage" pizza, also never a dull cast of characters passing thru after a night out at area bars etc-