HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

Discussion

Help me use my $5 "butter" - it's getting mouldy!

Ok, ok, it's called Mascarpone. I won't do that again. But anyway, why is it special? What should I do with it that makes best use of it, so I use it up? Thanks!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. Tiramisu is the classic use for mascarpone. For many options, you could search for it on epicurious.com.

    1. Mascarpone is basically an Italian Cream Cheese so you can use it as such. Use it as a spread, to thicken a sauce, melt it and use it as a dip.

      2 Replies
      1. re: Suzie

        What I bought, from Vermont Butter & Cheese, doesn't really have the consistency of cream cheese, it's more like room-temp butter. But now that you mention it, it tastes a little like cr chz

        1. re: xnyorkr

          Its just a locally made Mascarpone. The elements are the same. Mix a little sugar, and any flavored liquour in it and serve it tonight with fruit for dessert.

      2. tiramisu would be my start too. Although amaretti biscuits (and all other almond biscuits) are really good with a thick 'dip' made with marscapone a little sugar and some booze - be it cognac, marsala or whatever.

        1. Mascarpone is a fresh soft Italian pasturized cream with a high butterfat content, made from cow's milk. You can actually use it as you would regular cream cheese or ricotta, plus, as stated above, in the classic tiramisu and other desserts.

          1. My favorite cheesecake recipe uses mascarpone as well as cream cheese.
            http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/rec...

            It makes a wonderfully rich, creamy silky smooth cheesecake. I've made the rhubarb glaze but also a lemon glaze, both of which complement the cake beautifully.

            1. Make a mascarpone cream--with cream, sugar, vanilla (or other flavoring) and pour over any dessert or fruit.

              1. You know, if the marscapone is already going moldy, it probably has an off flavor already. Soft cheese don't do very well once mold sets in and it is supposed to have a sweet flavor. I'd try it first before I go ahead and cook with it. Not trying to give a lecture, it just would be a shame to go through all the trouble of making something you had to chuck in the garbage because the cheese was spoiled.

                P.S. It's wonderful mixed in at the end of a risotto in addition to parm cheese and regular butter :-)

                3 Replies
                1. re: sivyaleah

                  That's a good point. I don't think it tastes any different than when I first opened the container, but then again, I never had it before so I was never sure what it was supposed to taste like!

                  1. re: xnyorkr

                    You would be able to tell if it was off but if it is already showing mold, you probably only have a couple days at best to use it. Thats why I suggest using tonight mixing it with sugar, liquour and serving with fruit.

                    1. re: Suzie

                      Yea, the liquour would probably kill off the mold anyway :-)

                2. Seriously - maybe I am dense. If it's mouldy (and a soft dairy product) - you're not really gonna eat it are you?

                  </ anxiously>

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: spigot

                    my thoughts exactly. is it really worth risking food poisoning in order to not waste $5 worth of cheese? i've always thought that if there's any mold on a soft cheese you need to toss the whole thing (unlike hard cheese where you can safely remove the moldy area).

                  2. Good grief, people! If there's mold covering it and runningi nto the cheese - pitch it. A teeny bit on the top? Get rid of it, taste - this is one time when you can actually trust your little taste buds. If it's not off - sugar and liquor and better quicker! Use that stuff up!
                    (Am I the only person around who remembers washing chicken off cutting boards with - gasp! - plain soap and water and not worrying about bleaching every surface the chicken touched?) Unless you have a compromised immune system, you're fine with way more than we seem to believe so at this point.

                    1. LMAO! Well Said Alice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                      1. I'd be reluctant to use moldy marscapone.

                        In the future, use it to top desserts like whipped cream.

                        My absolute favorite use of marscapone is in the summer. Cut a fresh fig in half. Top with marscapone. Eat.

                        3 Replies
                        1. re: rworange

                          it's also very delicious on dried figs.

                          1. re: Kagey

                            Or stuffed inside prunes and drizzled over with good honey.

                            1. re: Megiac

                              i like to mix it with honey and scoop some up with apple slices and sprinkle some crushed up walnuts on it. i usually don't even make it to the walnuts. once that stuff is on the apple, it goes straight to my mouth.

                        2. Well, I just got some Triple Devon Cream butter from Trader Joe's, and when I unwrapped it I saw several flecks of mold spots here and there. I trimmed them off, and have been monitoring it for any more of them as might develop...but OTOH I've never bothered to try cutting the mold off of any bleu cheese I've ever bought, which makes me wonder if some of us (me included) might be getting just a tad bit hysterical here. I mean, I know there's mold and there's mold, but all of the stuff that grows on butterfat-rich dairy products is probably related, don't you think?

                          1 Reply
                          1. re: Will Owen

                            I don't think the mold on dairy products will kill you (within reason - I'm not talking about science projects here!), but whereas a little new mold on blue cheese and some other hard cheeses may just enhance the flavor, on a fresh product like soft cheese, yogurt, etc it will change the flavor for the worse - much worse. It's a taste thing. If I were the OP I'd toss the stuff.

                          2. Stir into polenta

                            Add to mashed potatoes w/ leeks, garlic

                            Stir into pasta w/ sauteed wild mushrooms, parmesan, toasted walnuts and parsley

                            Fill cream puffs or cannoli

                            Coure a la Creme

                            Made this for daddy http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/rec...

                            I've added it to pumpkin pie fillings as well as butternut squash pies

                            1. Two words: Marscapone ice cream. Two more words: yum.

                              1. Ditto on tossing it.

                                Butter rarely spoils so if it has mold on it, it has to be really bad. I've never seen mold on butter, in the frig or left outside for days so something really bad is going on.

                                1. I feel that if you see mold of any sort than it is not worth trying to use up. $5.00 is a lot less to lose than getting ill and going to the doctor.

                                  1. Honestly, the mascapone tastes fine to me, but OK, I'll toss it. I don't know how far it's gotten off track, and I don't want food poisoning.

                                    FWIW, I'm not a sanitation fanatic. I like clean, but I don't carry around hand santizer or anything. I am of the belief that if you over-protect yourself, you actually weaken your ability to fight off invaders. Having said that, there is a difference between bacteria and spoiled food, and I know that.

                                    1 Reply
                                    1. re: xnyorkr

                                      Don't toss it if it tastes fine. If it has turn sour you would know. You have lots of ideas on how to enjoy it. Try one and let is know.

                                    2. I also had the mold experience with the TJ double devon cream butter. The first few bites were heaven but then I hit the gray mold. Ugh! :( Even I had to throw it out and I eat most things.