Toronto, downtown: truffle oil
Hello fellow downtown Toronto CHers, can you please do me a favour and share where you buy your favorite truffle oil, and what brand it is?
I just bought my first bottle at Loblaws (I know, I know) as a test run, and I'm ready for the intense good stuff.
I've bought truffle oil at Cumbrae's on Church, Schefflers at the St. Lawrence Market, and Pusateri's on Yorkville. I can't remember the brand name right now, just that it comes in a very tiny bottle with I believe a black label and gold print. Doesn't need to be a big bottle since it's super-concentrated so you use mere drops to get a big impact. Hope that helps.
Olivia - you were'nt at that EZ Rock party at the Four Seasons were you?Where the chef did the truffle dish? just wondering..
Truffle oil is one of those things where usually you get what you pay for. Don't buy a bargain until you've done your homework.
1. White Italian is the best. Black is not usually as intense.
2. French is OK.
3. OT: Don't buy the jarred truffles since they are usually crap. Thats why they're cheap.
4. Cheese Boutique's own truffle oil is crap. That's why it's cheap.
5. Make sure you check the best before date. If there isn't one, don't buy it.
6. Unless you use it a lot, buy small quantities.
7. Store it in the fridge.
8. Try a place like the The Olive Pit at 805 Queen Street West in Toronto. They are not cheap, but they are very knowledgeable about their products.
9. I often find good oils at a good price at the food (&wine) shows.
I am pretty sure that Caviar Direct downstairs in the St. Lawrence Market would sell some good stuff.