All-appetizer menu for Sunday - feedback?
Am preparing the shopping list for my birthday party (a big one - 50 on Sunday!), and I'll be serving all appetizers to about 20 guests. I think the menu is a bit meat-heavy, and am looking for some lighter fare to add that will provide some "white space" between the meat dishes. Here's the list so far of what I'll be whipping up -
- Char sui, sliced with sesame seeds for dipping
- Edamami pods, cooked and chilled
- Homemade potstickers with ground pork, water chestnuts, ginger, crimini, spices, served with a combo soy sauce, cider vinegar and sesame oil
- Turkey meatballs, with a marinara sauce for dipping
- Homemade pizza, with prosicuitto, sauteed eggplant, roasted red pepper, carmelized onions, marinara sauce, Parmesan Reggiano and sauteed chicken
Do you think these things will go together okay? Does it look like indigestion could result from the combination of the above? What else could I provide to my guests? Maybe a fruit tray? Something bready?
Thanks in advance for your help!
I would add a crisp and light veggie app. Maybe Belgian endive filled with a dip of your choice (hummous, roasted red pepper, etc.). Another veggie app I like is slices of jicama with a dollop of fresh guacamole (inspired by meals at Topolobampo).
For a starch, I like to roast tiny red potatoes, scoop out a bit of the middle and fill with a mixture of bacon, prepared horseradish and chopped scallions or chives. Cut a small slice off the bottom to make them stable. Replacing the horseradish with goat cheese is also good.