HOME > Chowhound > U.K./Ireland >


Crescent roll dough?

Can anyone tell me what the equivalent to Pillsbury crescent roll dough would be in the UK? There are several recipes for cream cheese danish that I have found and they all call for crescent roll dough.
Any ideas on what I should use, or alternative recipes?


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Are these American or British recipes? I don't think I've ever come across the Pillsbury type here in the UK. There aren't even many cake mixes in the supermarkets as most people seem to either buy or just bake their own. That said, the supermarkets carry Sara Lee brand croissants and they come out of a tube like the crescent dough does. Maybe there is something similar in the way of crescent dough but I, personally, haven't come across it yet. Maybe the croissant dough would work? I'm not always too experimental.

    1. All the recipes I have found so far are American...maybe they are called something else in the UK which is why I can't find any English recipes when I do a search? What are cheese danish rolls called here?

      As for the croissant dough, I don't know if they would work, I am thinking that croissants are lighter than crescent rolls, but I am not really sure.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Magdalene

        Croissants do get puffier - that's for sure. I only know cheese danish pastries - don't think I've ever seen or eaten the rolls.

      2. Agreed, Sainsburys stocks Sara Lee Croissant dough. There's a fantastic new line in the chiller sections around these days, though, which you might experiment with--it's the all-butter puff pastry and shortcrust pastry (by Saxon, I believe, though there's a posh organic type in Waitrose freezer sections). These are excellent products, much better than the non-butter ones.

        1. I think puff pastry dough would work fine. I was always under the impression that the two were interchangable.

          1. I have just found this link and info on alternatives to the American dough mentioned.

            6 Replies
            1. re: KrrBr77

              Puff pastry is nothing like crescent roll dough, but I don't know why it wouldn't taste very good as a substitute.

              1. re: KrrBr77

                Is a croissant different from whatever Americans call a crescent roll?

                Assuming not, then, as mentioned then, there's the Sara Lee product and I'll the one from Jus-Rol which should be widely available in just about every supermarket.

                If it is a different end product, then the correct dough probably doesnt exist here as we doin't have crescent rolls, only croissants.

                1. re: Harters

                  Pillsbury crescent rolls aren't as layered as a croissant would be expected to be -- it's more just thin bits of soft yeast dough rolled into a crescent shape without the butter layers that make a croissant a croissant. The Sara Lee stuff looks fairly similar, but I'm basing that on looking at pictures on the Internet.

                  1. re: Harters

                    Here's a photo of the crescent rolls... and how my kids loved to eat them. They do get rolled up like a croissant but Jacquilynne gave a good description of the difference.

                    That's a hot dog inside the roll. :-)

                    1. re: zuriga1

                      Thank you zuriga1. I get that puff pastry is different but here in Australia i am yet to find anything like crescent rolls. I am thinking that the dough actually looks more like shortcrust than puff anyway but hard to know until i actually try it.

                    2. re: Harters

                      I'm in Australia so those products don't exist here.

                  2. In case this question is still active, last week I was thrilled to find jus-rol refrigerated crescent rolls at Dunnes Stores food hall in Dublin. Works just like the Pillsbury ones from US. Now I can again make all those crescent roll recipes my sons love and were missing :-)

                    5 Replies
                    1. re: skn1999

                      I don't think I've seen the Jus-Rol ones here in England yet, but I'll sure keep my eyes open. Thanks for the tip. Does your son like little hot dogs in the rolls? My kids used to love those. :-)

                      1. re: zuriga1

                        I know the hot dog rolls are popular with kids. We are vegetarians, so never tried those. I often do them with pesto, cheese, chocolate or fruits.

                        1. re: skn1999

                          I see that Ocado and Waitrose sell frozen butter croissants and other similar products. Maybe they would work in place of the Pillsbury's. I might try that one day.

                        2. re: zuriga1

                          Just picked some up last week at Sainsburys if you're still looking!
                          (the ready-to-bake Jus-Roll ones, I meant.)

                          1. re: tacosandbeer

                            I don't eat these too often, but it's nice to know they're available. Thanks.

                      2. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls ate the poor man's croissants. Does anyone know if good, all butter croissants are sold raw, proof and bake, frozen in retail? I know companies like Vie de France sell them wholesale to the food service trade through companies like Sysco but I've never seen anything like these in a supermarket.

                        5 Replies
                        1. re: zackly

                          I've only seen already baked all-butter croissants in Sainsbury and Waitrose. They freeze well, IMO.

                          1. re: Harters

                            Speaking of good croissants and other French goodies, we took my cousin to lunch at Balthazar in London a week or so ago. They have a large bread/rolls basket on the menu - comes with real French croissants, pain au chocolat, pastries etc. It's pricey but I took a lot home with me for future use.

                            1. re: zuriga1

                              I checked in Waitrose this morning - they also have frozen ready-to-bake all butter ones.

                              1. re: Harters

                                Were they the Jus-Rol ones? I must check that out. Thanks.

                                1. re: zuriga1

                                  Can't remember, June. May have been own label.