HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >

Getting rid of food odours

c
CAN Feb 9, 2007 02:56 PM

Any suggestions on how to get rid of food odours such as curry that still smells the next morning?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. hotoynoodle RE: CAN Feb 9, 2007 05:00 PM

    besides opening the window, you can simmer some white vinegar.

    1 Reply
    1. re: hotoynoodle
      b
      babaoriley7 RE: hotoynoodle Jan 31, 2008 08:46 AM

      Does this make the place smell like vinegar? By that I mean is it just masking the smell?

    2. LindaWhit RE: CAN Feb 10, 2007 04:36 AM

      Vanilla candle seems to work for me (usually from Bath & Body Works). A few years ago, a friend had given me a "chef's candle" that she got in Marshall's, and the manufacturer was French, I believe. This candle took the scents right out of the air without adding anything else heavy. I Googled the name but couldn't seem to find it anywhere here in the States. So the vanilla candle works for me.

      1. c
        cooknKate RE: CAN Feb 10, 2007 05:05 PM

        I always burn soy candles. They burn clean with no soot. I light it even before I start cooking and let it burn until I go to bed. It tends to take care of the smell. We installed an exhaust fan too, and that is nice although I know it's not an option for everyone.

        1. Neely_Ohara RE: CAN Feb 10, 2007 05:20 PM

          I've found that incense works well and quickly.

          1. s
            shelvis RE: CAN Feb 10, 2007 06:03 PM

            If you're going to gry something then set a bowl of distilled vinegar close to the stove it absorbs the odor. A "smoker's candle" is the same as a chef's candle and can be purchased at Wal Mart in the checkout lane. Both work great.

            1. jpschust RE: CAN Feb 11, 2007 03:54 AM

              also a lemon in the garbage disposal helps a LOT to clear the smell out of the line once you're done cooking

              1. c
                CAN RE: CAN Feb 11, 2007 12:50 PM

                Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to try simmering the white vinegar first. Will let you know how it goes.

                1. l
                  Linda VH RE: CAN Feb 11, 2007 02:18 PM

                  I have candles that I ordered from the internet (a case because they're so effective). I was given one to try and then I placed my order. they are Odor Eliminator Candles. They eliminate smoking, food and pet odors. Google the name and you'll come across them. Linda

                  1. b
                    BuggySer RE: CAN Feb 21, 2007 08:36 AM

                    I think when you're cooking make sure your windows are open and there's a good ventilation system, then leave it like that for a bit after you're done...also wash your dishes IMMEDIATELY...I know the feeling Stale curry smell is pretty bad! I think you just have to air the place out as much as possible...candles etc. I've tried it but they tend to hide the smell till later then you ahve a stale curry + weird candley smell which can sometimes be worse!

                    Also if you're really picky, baking soda and vinegar down the drain after washing your dishes...take your garbage out immediately!

                    1. Sally599 RE: CAN Feb 21, 2007 05:04 PM

                      Charcoal filter. Probably not the one in the overhead fan of your stove unless you've changed it in the last three months. They make these small air filters that plug into electrical sockets or you can use a floor model, the key thing is to change the charcoal filter, a hepa filter isn't likely to do anything. Once the charcoal filter has been exposed to air for more than three months it tends not to work as well. This will leave your air fresh with no chemical odor and the curry smell will be gone.

                      1. SIMIHOUND RE: CAN Feb 24, 2007 08:34 PM

                        We bought a Living Air Classic-the king of home air fresheners. This will last forever and I dont need to buy filters for the rest of my life. It works....period.

                        1. h
                          HillJ RE: CAN Mar 1, 2007 03:28 PM

                          What works for me is a paste (the consistency of thin pudding) of baking soda and fresh lemon juice applied to a sponge to wipe down the offender.

                          Vinegar tends to create another sort of odor that I don't care for but the vinegar itself does clean certain household problems well.

                          1. b
                            BuggySer RE: CAN Mar 8, 2007 07:54 PM

                            That's true, Vinegar is sometimes a lifesaver as a cleaner!

                            1. michele cindy RE: CAN Jan 31, 2008 04:27 AM

                              I know this is an old post, but I cooked a curry dish 2 nights ago, and I can't get the smell out of our home. If I were to do the vinegar trick, how much do you need to simmer + for how long? Will it work on the whole home? We tried leaving the windows opened and it did not help. Any other suggestions?

                              3 Replies
                              1. re: michele cindy
                                OCAnn RE: michele cindy Jan 31, 2008 09:14 AM

                                You can try simmering a cup of vinegar w/a cup of water for 20 min.

                                Another option, if you have a coffee maker is to run vinegar thru it...so you get a clean coffee maker AND a fresher smelling kitchen.

                                1. re: michele cindy
                                  michele cindy RE: michele cindy Feb 1, 2008 08:41 AM

                                  Last night I roasted a chicken, with a lot of oregano and garlic. Afterwards, I went out, and when I came back into the house, I asked myself, what smells so good? Anyway, I hope when I come home after work my problem was solved by roasting the chicken. Replacing a very strong odor with something more neutral creating a new more pleasant odor. Sounds crazy but you never know. I have my fingers crossed.

                                  1. re: michele cindy
                                    OCAnn RE: michele cindy Feb 1, 2008 09:50 AM

                                    Mmmm...that's a lot more pleasant aroma and solution than vinegar! I'm glad you were able to solve your own problem.

                                    Although I like the smell of vinegar; Mr OCAnn does not. He would definitely prefer your method over mine!

                                2. f
                                  fauchon RE: CAN Jan 31, 2008 05:00 AM

                                  I would not be without my Lampe Berger...I was introduced to it by a restaurant-owning friend. The LB is a decorative glass/ceramic jar (there are lots of designs to choose from) which burns a fuel called "oil"....There are regular retaillers & ebay vendors as well. I buy the knock-off fuel which is much cheaper than the LB fuel & works just as well...
                                  The vendor I buy from is www.lampefuelandmore.com. There are many many fragrances to choose from. I burn their cirtrus/sage in the kitchen. The LB was originally created in the 19C for use in hospitals & mortuaries...Trust me, odor doesn't have a chance!

                                  PS: I prefer the glass Lampes so I can see how much fuel is left.

                                  3 Replies
                                  1. re: fauchon
                                    a
                                    AGENT FOODIE RE: fauchon Feb 1, 2008 02:40 AM

                                    scientists say that the best method is using activated charcoal, anyone know where to get some?

                                    1. re: AGENT FOODIE
                                      j
                                      jlawrence01 RE: AGENT FOODIE Feb 1, 2008 05:54 AM

                                      I would call a pharmacy. They may carry it.

                                      1. re: AGENT FOODIE
                                        m
                                        MikeG RE: AGENT FOODIE Feb 4, 2008 06:51 AM

                                        To use activated charcoal to remove odors from an "area", you'd need a large filter full of the right grade of the stuff and a powerful fan to pump air through it. What they sell in pharmacies is as a poisoning remedy, finely ground and USP grade. The former makes it worthless for air filtration, the latter makes it even more expensive than the technical grade. Google for indoor /closet pot grower websites though if you're really curious; they also have useful info for general indoor gardeners. ;)

                                    Show Hidden Posts