Delicious, Affordable Meal with Good Vegetarian Options
- doctor_mama Feb 7, 2007 05:56 AM
A friend and I will be hosting a visiting Englishwoman for dinner tomorrow night. She is a vegetarian (not vegan). I'd hoped to take her to Helmand, but they have no reservations available at the time we need.
Do you have any suggestions for an alternative restaurant? Our criteria are:
* Delicious and interesting food
* Nice atmosphere, conducive to conversation--fancy not necessary
* Several good vegetarian choices (we're not looking for an exclusively veg restaurant), not just one.
* Prices in the $10-$20 range for entrees
* Boston or Cambridge (we'd consider Brookline, Watertown or Newton for the right place, as well)
* I'd prefer not to go with Thai, Indian or Chinese for this one
Maybe Lala Rokh? They don't have their full menu online, that I can see. How are their veg choices?
Lala Rokh is a bit out of your price range, but it is a very good place with some vegetarian options.
How about going to Helmand in East Cambridge? They are a bit less expensive than Lala Rokh, and the Afghan food there is excellent. And from what I recall, there are a few vegetarian options there. Nice atmosphere, too.
I'd add the following two oft-repeated, reasonably priced veggie-friendly recs:
Addis Red Sea (South End) - probably Boston's best Ethiopian served in a beautiful, interesting room.
Baraka Cafe (Central Square) - excellent Alergian/Tunisian fare. Delicious spiced lemonade with rose petals. Note that no alcohol is served.
Baraka Cafe is Cash only fyi.
I like Rivergods for bothe meat and non-meat eaters. Good secetion for both. Great veggie burger and fries. as well as skewers and a nice atmosphere. But there could be a wait and the place is small.