Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Ontario (inc. Toronto) >
Feb 6, 2007 11:19 AM

crème de cassis

i recently had a drink in a restaurant - it was a splash of crème de cassis with white wine/ sparkling wine/ or champagne.

does anyone know what this drink is called? and is it crème de cassis or something else? do i buy crème de cassis at the LCBO? does anyone know the price range?

sorry for vagueness!


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. The one made with white wine is Kir. If it is made with sparkling wine/champagne, it is a Kir Royale.

    You can get creme de assis at the LCBO. A small bottle of 250mL should be around $13.

    1. It is called Kir Royal

      1. That's my favourite apéritif. :)

        I second the other posters - I've actually often seen the crème de cassis right near the checkout of the LCBO. It's a bit pricey, but you don't need much. I like to mix it with an inexpensive sparkline wine for festive fun.

          1. This is a popular apéritif in France. The creme de cassis sold at the LCBO is not very good, so I use Chambord instead for better taste.