Disinfecting Kitchen Spray for Cutting Boards, etc.
- gridder Feb 3, 2007 10:46 AM
Does anyone know what an appropriate ratio of bleach to water makes a good spray for hitting the cutting boards, counters, etc., with after cutting chicken and other germy fare? I am trying to avoid commercially-made antibacterial sprays.
I'm not sure if this is "right", but what I use is one part bleach to four parts water. On the cutting boards I always rinse with hot water afterwards. The counters, I wipe dry. I have heard that Hydrogen Peroxide is a great anti-bacterial, but I haven't tried that yet. Good Luck! O=:)
The standard food service mixture for sanitizing solution is approx 1 cup of chlorine bleach in 1 gallon of warm water. This is sprayed on any horizontal surface and left to air dry. It can also be used as a rinsing solution for knives and other kitchenware, but do not get it on wood handles as it will discolor them.
It will retain its effectiveness for 1 week if stored in a spray bottle.
I don't especially care to have bleach near my food, so I've always used a spray of white vinegar, which is a terrific anti-bacterial.
By the way, a good rinse in hot water does the trick for most things - at least, that's my theory, and more than thirty years on in the kitchen, I've never had any kind of problem.
White vinegar. Check it out.
Vinegar works fine as an anti-bacterial agent. It's effectiveness is diminished by sugar, temperature and the acidity of the solution however. Here's the science from NIH http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/qu...
Ordinary household bleach works well too in a very mild solution and kills about everything, probably more reliably. It was used to clean government facilities after Anthrax attacks and scares a few years ago. With reasonable care, it's safe. You can use it to purify drinking water.
The smell from both rapidly dissapates.
Plain white vinegar is an astonishingly good cleaning product and has replaced half the bottles that used to take up space under my sink - and at a fraction of the cost. No need for rubber gloves. Better than those expensive so-called bio-degradable eco-friendly products found on the shelves of places like Whole Foods and Williams Sonoma.
The white vinegar works really well. I use it on everything from the counters to my stainless steel fridge to the floor. The smell goes away right quick.
I think the appropriate ratio of bleach to water is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. I seem to remember this from cooking school.