Cutting my silpat?
Is it true that I cannot cut my brand new giagantic silpat?? I was hoping to make 2 sheet pan covers out of it but the nytimes article today says nay! What do you all say?
Some silicone mats are made for cutting to fit pans. Some or not made for cutting and the instructions explicitly say not to cut. The ones not to cut are the ones with woven fiberglass in the silicone.You wouldn't want fine, fiberglass fibers getting into your food, onto your kitchen surfaces, into the air, etc.
* Do not use scrapers or brushes to clean the Silpat®
* Do not cut the Silpat® or ON the Silpat®
* Do not fold the Silpat®
* Do not grease the Silpat®
* Never use a cut or ripped Silpat® as glass weave could migrate to the food.
* Please avoid the use of automatic dishwashers, as they may harm the Silpat®