I Trulli NYE review -- long
We ate at I Trulli last night.
First, the negatives:
1. When I made the reservations on Open Table there was no mention of the prix fixe menu or when the restaurant called to confirm the reservation and ask for a credit card number. I only found out about the prix fixe when I called back to expand the reservation to add others to our party and I specifically asked. At that point, it was the afternoon of New Year's Eve. The prix fixe of $75 was not outrageous but it was more than one would spend if they stuck to 3 courses from the regular menu, and it was more than the friends who were going to join us wanted to spend. So, I ended up having to call and change the reservation back to two. When I told the restaurant why I was changing the reservation back, they seemed to ignore what I said!
2. Despite the fact that the restaurant was sparsely populated when we arrived at 9:30 pm and never filled up, they sat us in the back of the restaurant in the covered porch rather than at one of the more inviting tables inside.
3. There was one sour note with the food: the beginning appetizers that were provided with the meal. The calamari in the misto fristo had zero flavor was was all rings, no tentacles. One piece actually tasted "off" so I stopped eating the dish. The sausage with lentils that were served were cold. One of the appetizers that was originally presented was actually a substitute, but they did not mention that until I pointed it out. My husband, who has allergies, was not able to eat the two that we were presented with, so they brought him one popover that had been left. It seemed odd that they were out of the appetizers at 9:30 on NYE.
Next, the positives:
1. For the most part, the food was very good. The mozzarella in the caprese was the perfect consistency and the extra virgin olive oil on the dish was tasty and the perfect green color.
2. The pasta was exceptional. I had the cavatelli with broccoli rabe and pine nuts; my husband had the orecchiette with rabbit. The cavatelli tasted like pillows of air -- simply delicious!
3. The lamb chop was very good and cooked perfectly.
4. The desserts, especially the tiramisu, were very good -- not too sweet and light.
The service could have been more attentive but overall the experience was great and the price was affordable for a lovely evening.