In response to requests from the DC Board:
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweet marsala wine
250 g (1/2 lb) mascarpone cheese
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups instant espresso coffee
3 Tbs Kaluha
24 Italian ladyfingers (note these MUST be Italian ladyfingers which are crisp not soft)
unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Boil 2 cups water. Add 6 Tbs instant espresso coffee. Add Kaluha (optional). Chill.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar until light. Beat in Marsala (optional) and cook gently in double boiler. Stir constantly until thickened. Cool.
3. Beat mascarpone until smooth. Beat in cooled custard.
4. Whip cream until light. Gently fold into cheese mixture.
5. Quickly dip 1/2 ladyfingers in coffee mixture [don't soak them]. Place in bottom or dish. Spread half of topping mixture over top. Repeat.
6. Sprinkle cocoa powder over top through sieve. Cover. Chill. Enjoy.
Note: The perfect size dish for this recipe is a Pyrex 11x7 inch glass pan.
I don't live in your area but when I made tiramisu using Ina Garten's recipe, I found the savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers/crisp cookies) at a local Italian deli/grocery store. They also carried the mascarpone that I needed. You might try calling a few in your area to see if they sell them.
I live in England so I don't have your problem, but any good Deli or Italian grocery (there must be one where you live) will have ammaretti. Savoyardi are a good substitute, there are also some decent bicuits/cookies on sale in this country called Boudouir biscuits or Lady fingers.