PDX Top Five Dish 2006
The Ultimate Restaurant lists got me thinking of a listy thing we did last year.
What are your top 5 favorite dishes you've tasted this year? By "dish" I mean menu item, so could be appetizer, entree, dessert, fancy drink, artisan condiment, whatever.
I think Nick did something like this last year.
1. Chickpea fries, Park Kitchen
2. Reuben sandwich, Valentine's
I am still figuring mine out.
I am not planning to compile these, this is not official Chowhound business, you are under no obligation, no salesman will call, all sales are final, this is not an offer in any state where such an offer would be prohibited...
I just want to know what all your favorites are.
I don't think I could put them in any particular order but,
1)Camarones enchilados with black beans (Pambiche)
2)Grilled beef shoulder (a special at Nuestra Cocina)
3)Handmade tortillas and salsas (Autentica)
4)Khao Man Som Tam (Pok Pok)
I can't believe it took me so long to try Karam's falafel sandwich. But it was the best falafel I've had in P-town. The first dish isn't new to this year, but it was the first thing to pop into my head as the one dish I couldn't imagine not ever having again.
In no particular order, just random musings...
1. Honey,apricot, bacon cornbread "amazing" (Le Pigeon)
2. Warm cauliflower-blue cheese panacotta with vermouth-poached oysters and caviar. "lovely combination of flavors and textures"(Carlyle)
3. French onion soup "simple, classic, and perfect" (Fenouil)
4. Roasted squash soup with chestnuts and seared foie gras. "Extremely rich, but in a good way!"(ASOBG)
5. Maple-glazed Pork belly "BLT". "I ate pork belly all over the map this year, but this was my fave" (Carlyle)
Kobe Beef Tartar "not new, but I love it" (Paley's)
1. pork belly BLT @ Carlyle
2. honey/apricot cornbread with maple ice cream and bacon @ Le Pigeon
3. tie: pork osso bucco @ Carlyle/guanciale & clam white pizza @ Apizza Scholls
4. tie: lobster roll @ Simpatica/crab and apsaragus strata @ Simpatica
5. tie: spinach agnolotti w/fontina @ Alba Osteria/penne carbonara @ Tabla
Sorry for the ties, five just isn't enough!! ;o)
If I had more slots, I'd also add:
-persimmon creme caramel @ Carlyle
-amaebi, yellowtail, fried softshell crab & salmon cheeks (4 separate things, not a plate) @ Murata
-leek empanadas @ Pambiche (server suggested I try them instead of the potato cheese ones I usually get, and now I am hooked!)
we just moved to portland last june from orange county and have been amazed at the restaurants in pdx. as a rule we stay away from national chains and big box restaurants so we have activley sought out the local good eats. my listings are only on the east side due to proximity to home. someday we will venture over to the west side.
in no special order:
1. onion rings at salvador molly's
2. tandoori beef at vindalhoo
3. winter pillow at equinox
4. margerhita pizza at apizza scholls
5. sizzling tofu at the bay leaf
also, mojitos at the doug fir.
It was 25 best and 10 worst last year, but I had non-PDX mixed in:
Here are the Chowhound threads:
I don't know how to keep it to five. But here goes a list. (Unofficially) beat me and (unofficially) shun me for going over the alotted five spots. ;-)
* Tomato trio, Olea
* Apricot bacon cornbread with maple ice cream, Le Pigeon
* Prime rib, Podnah's
* Kanom jiin, Pok Pok
* Bo la lot, Banh Cuon Tan Dinh
* Medhu vada, Chennai Masala
* Clams casino, Apizza Scholls
* Hot chocolate, Cacao
* Tostada de pulpo, Autentica
I'm sure I'm missing some favorites. eg, I had this great roasted squash thing with citrus at Wildwood. And some fabulous duck and lentils from Carlyle. Oh, well. I'd name something of my own, except for more official action...
yeah, i guess 5 is not enough for this kind of thing. here are mine, in a sort of order.
1. Pumpkin shake, Burgerville
2. Cheese steak sandwich, Navarre
3. Reuben sandwich, Valentines
4. Coconut ice cream, Vindalho
5. Roast/mixed veg plate (December edition), Ken's Artisan Pizza
6. Chickpea fries, Park Kitchen
7. Apricot bacon cornbread with maple ice cream, Le Pigeon
8. Quail & butter lettuce salad, Masu East
This is ordered from most-repeatedly-consumed to least, with the last four listed in no particular order cuz I only tried them once but loved 'em.
Which makes the Pumpkin shake pretty impressive since it was only around for a coiuple of months. I think I must have had five or six of those (shared with another person!). I enjoyed all the pumpkin ice cream, baked goods, and things that showed up on menus this fall.
And that roast vegetable/cold veg salad plate at Ken's Artisan Pizza was one of the nicest things I have ever seen or tasted on a cold winter's eve. All of the little components were well prepared and nicely balanced as a whole dish, too. I'm looking forward to more visits to KAP as the seasons change.
I'm enjoying these lists, they give me new things to go out and try! thanks everyone
I think it was called "mixed vegetable plate." it had
-- fingerling potato salad
-- apple/celery slaw
-- sweet potatoes with ancho chile sauce and dry jack cheese
-- roast carrots and fried shallots with ... something else.
it was one of those things, where it was exactly what I wanted even though I didn't know I wanted it till I saw it on the menu... and it was really really good. Especially the ancho chile sauce/sweet potato thing.