HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Broiler..metal pans used in restaurants?

erica Dec 27, 2006 06:47 PM

I need a fairly small pan to use in my broiler when broiling two fish filets or two small steaks, for example. At times like this I do not want to dirty the larger pan that came with the oven. On a PBS food tv show, a chef who I like (Mike Colameco) uses a round flat metal pan like those I think are used in restaurants. I looked for this pan at a local cookware shop today..no luck. What is this type of item called and is it good to use for broiling (and baking) at home? Should I look for one at a restaurant supply store (I am in NYC)?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Professor Salt RE: erica Dec 27, 2006 07:24 PM

    Was it an aluminum pizza pan, like this? If so, any restaurant supply in NYC will have them in various sizes for cheap.


    2 Replies
    1. re: Professor Salt
      erica RE: Professor Salt Dec 27, 2006 07:34 PM

      Yes! Professor, you are so smart! And this must be fine for broiling if it is used in a pizza oven, right?

      1. re: erica
        Professor Salt RE: erica Dec 28, 2006 03:22 AM

        Yes, it's broiler safe. Most restaurant kitchens have a stack of these in various states of abuse, they're used hard and beat up in many ways.

    2. h
      howund09 RE: erica Dec 27, 2006 10:26 PM

      What I think you are looking for is a "sizzle platter". These are standards in any professional kitchen and can be found in abundance of sizes on the Bowery- anywhere. I suggest stainless steel over Aluminum. The pizza pans are thinner and aren't as good for broiling/ baking. You can use a "sizzler" directly on a flame or coil. They are oval and have deep rims to hold in liquids.

      6 Replies
      1. re: howund09
        erica RE: howund09 Dec 28, 2006 02:10 PM

        I stopped into Bridge yesterday and they did, in fact, have one oval, rimmed "sizzle" platter left. The saleperson there told me that they were very hard to get and he did not know if they would be getting them again. It was $17.95, made in India and too small for me. Does that price sounds right or is it too high?

        1. re: erica
          Tinkerbell RE: erica Aug 25, 2013 06:15 AM

          What do these sizzle platters look like? Are they dimpled shiny aluminum like a steak platter with rim and indentions for grease to just drain in thumb depth indentions almost?

          1. re: Tinkerbell
            erica RE: Tinkerbell Aug 25, 2013 12:54 PM

            Mine looks like this, but no longer shiny since I put it in the dishwasher....does not alter the result, though:


            1. re: erica
              Tinkerbell RE: erica Aug 25, 2013 01:22 PM

              Thanks million for reply.

        2. re: howund09
          erica RE: howund09 Dec 28, 2006 11:15 PM

          Ok, found a sizzle platter today; I remembered that one material was better than the other, so of course !!), I bought the aluminium cause I got the materials reversed. So now my question is, is there something wrong with using aluminum instead of ss? Why did you recommend ss instead? Thanks very much!

          1. re: erica
            howund09 RE: erica Dec 30, 2006 03:31 PM

            Aluminum is soft and small particles can end up in your food, especially when scraped with a spatula or spoon that is ss and harder than your cooking surface. aluminum is fairly toxic as it builds up in your body and can also help alzheimers along. Also aluminum is porous and food will stick more than with ss. Head down to the Bowery- Paragon is the go-to place for me.

        3. RShea78 RE: erica Dec 28, 2006 06:39 AM

          Those oven broilers are junk in my opinion. And, cleanup can be a chore almost requiring the "Tool Time Tim" method, get out the heavy duty drill with the wire wheel attachment. Ah-ha, and the Brimford Pneumatic Air Chisel for those really bad spots... ;-)

          I use those cast iron wavy-pans to do my oven broiling in. If done right I even get nice sear marks in a carefully preheated pan. Now my oven will handle the 20" wave-griddle for chops or cooking up a few extra items. Cooking far faster than the stovetop and cleanup is far easier for me this way.

          2 Replies
          1. re: RShea78
            fauchon RE: RShea78 Dec 28, 2006 12:19 PM

            Hope this question isn't too dope-y but what is a wavy pan? Do you mean something like a Le Creuset grill pan with ridges? Or are you talking about another kind of pan?

            1. re: fauchon
              RShea78 RE: fauchon Dec 28, 2006 05:27 PM

              How groovy! ;-)

              I was avoiding the term ridges, because it gets associated with potato chips having the fine "ridge cut".

              Anyway, those pans have a raised "rod-like channels" cast into the surface.

              Now my Aunt, that lead me to the cooking method, says that any cast iron pan can be flat. Of course that is no big deal with my Lodge 20" wave-griddle of which is reversible.

          Show Hidden Posts