Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Dec 15, 2006 03:18 PM

Mexican Wedding Cookies are also called........?

I know they are also called Russian Tea Cakes, Snowballs, and Cocoons (by my grandmother), but what is the name for the Czech cookie that is just like them, according to my husband. He says his grandmother Zaharadka made something just like them with a name approximately as difficult as her own. TIA

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I'm not sure what the Czechs call their version, but the Austrians call them Vanillekipferl. I'm pretty sure the recipe would be quite similar.

    The kipferl are made in a crescent shape to celebrate the defeat of the Turks when they invaded Austria.

    And in case anyone is interested, the Greek version is called Kourabiedes.