Hot alcoholic beverage
A coworker asked me for a recommendation for a hot alcoholic punch for a "hot toddy party" (I want to go!). I suggested Russian Tea, which I used to make in the 70s. Somewhere I have the old recipe, but meanwhile I Googled, and came up with a few possibilities (many recipes on the internet are unfortunately made with Tang). As I recall, I steeped tea bags in hot water along with cinnamon sticks and cloves, and added sugar and orange juice, maybe some lemon juice, and vodka at the end. Does anybody have the recipe? Or suggestions for other hot alcoholic beverages?
One that I did recently that's very delicious is a Hot Rum Cow. It's an ounce of rum, a cup of milk, a couple teaspoons of sugar, and a dash or two of Angostura bitters, heated. It's perfect for when you're cold and wet, and all you want to do is curl up in a big thick blanket and fall asleep.
Hot buttered rum, for sure, and I always keep good quality hot chocolate and peppermint schnaaps on hand (with some fresh whipped cream on top!). Here are 5 more to consider:
1. Hot Angel: Steamed milk (foam or not) with Frangelica (a hazelnut liquor).
2. Coffee Nudge: 1 oz Brandy, 1/2 oz. each Kahlua & Dark Cacao, fill with coffee and top with whipped cream.
3. Coffee Alfredo: 3/4 oz. each Kahlua, Amaretto, fill with coffee and top with whip cream.
4. Hot Toddy: 1 1/4 oz Bourbon, 1 oz. honey, fill with hot water and sprinkle with nutmeg.
5. Hot Apple Pie: Sparkling Cider, 1 1/4 oz heated Tuaca, topped with whip cream.
Thanks for the great reminder to start making cozy, warm drinks! It has been too long!
I found the vintage recipe (in faded ink, dated 1969, from my Russian teacher), so here it is:
3 1⁄2 quarts water
12 tea bags
One quart unsweetened orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cap cloves (?? I suppose this means if you had a spice bottle of cloves you would fill up the cap; it should be about 1 tablespoon)
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1 – Place cloves in water
2 – Bring to boil
3 – Add tea bags
4 – Let stand until tea is strong, then remove tea bags
5 -- Add orange juice
6 – Add lemon juice
7 – Add sugar
8 – Add vodka to taste
Serve hot. Better if made in advance then aged 24 hours.