HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Brewing beer, curing meat, or making cheese? Tell us about it

Hard cheese grinder

adlevy Nov 30, 2006 09:09 PM

Just returned from a month in Italy with a lot of Reggio Parmisiana cheese. While in Italy we saw cheese grinders that sat on the kitchen counter with a crank on top and a drawer for the ground cheese. The only grinders I have found back in the U.S. are the hand held grinders. Does anyone know of anyplace that sells the counter top grinders?

  1. Cheese Boy Dec 5, 2006 04:28 AM

    If you have a good deal of patience, google search 'Grattugia'. Italian, for "grater".
    You might get lucky and find an importer here in the states.

    1. FoodFuser Dec 5, 2006 01:16 PM

      It's a bit pricey... but here ya go.



      Further googles for {Grattugia a rullo legno} (grater rotary wood) may find cheaper ones.

      If the wood box/drawer, with a microplane type grater on top will fit your needs, it's cheaper:


      Show Hidden Posts