Scones - what do you like?
- QueenB Nov 11, 2006 11:25 PM
I made a batch of dried cherry/crystallized ginger scones today, and it was a great combination.
So tell me, what "extras" do you like in your scones?
I absolutely LOVE scones. They are by far my favorite breakfast bread-dry and just perfect for dipping into a strong cup of coffee. I don't care the ones that have icing on them but love just about any other flavor combiantion-the "healthier" sounding, the better-nuts, dried fruit, citrus zest-I enjoy it all.
I have a couple of scone recipes I love. Here's the one that calls for honey:
2 c. flour
2 t. bkg powder
1/2 t. bkg soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. cold butter
1 egg, separated
3 T honey
1/3 c. buttermilk (can sub by adding a dash of white vinegar to regular milk)
1 t. water
2 T sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon (optional)
1. heat oven to 400
2. in lg. bowl stir flour, powder, soda and salt; cut in butter to make a coarse mixture
3. in small bowl beat yolk with honey and buttermilk until blended; add to flour mixture
4. shape dough into an 8" round about 3/4 in. thick (don't overwork the dough; it's ok if it's kinda crumbly-- this is a flaky scone not a biscuity one); cut into wedges and place on greased cookie sheet; you can also divide the dough into two rounds and gently press berries or diced fruit onto the bottom round then cover with the other round for a layered fruit scone
5. optional: glaze with egg and h2o and sprinkle with cinnamon mixed with sugar