"Bookmarking" made difficult
I enjoy being able to bookmark threads I find interesting and see them appear on the "my CHOW" page. I see that bookmarking has moved to the new "Topic Options" menu at the top right of each thread.
Previously, bookmarking a thread would take one click -- just clicking "bookmark" beneath the first post would do it.
Now, bookmarking takes 4 clicks:
1) Click "Topic Options"
2) Click Bookmark
3) Wait for Bookmark dialog box to appear. Click the "Bookmark this topic" checkbox.
4) Click "Close" to get rid of the dialog box
I think this is several clicks too many. I realize you probably want to explain bookmarking to users in the dialog box, but doing so every time a user wants to bookmark a topic is overkill.
If the user has never bookmarked something before, perhaps the dialog box should be displayed. Otherwise, why not just allow bookmarking with 2 clicks?
1) click "Topic Options"
2) click bookmark
I, too, like the direction of these options, but if it isn't possible to make one click available on the relevant page, then I think one click should work, and perhaps a "?" or some other indication of help could be clicked on. I don't think there are many people who wouldn't know what "email to a friend" or "bookmark" means.
Wow! Thanks for the Add to Delicious! That's amazing. I'm so excited.
One comment, while we're talking about the stuff in that dropdown. The print stylesheet has a lot of extra stuff both at the top and the bottom. The top has a good couple of useless inches and the bottom has two unnecessary pages.
Thanks for all your work. The site is getting better and better.
Better, but it still takes three clicks:
- Trigger the pulldown-popup-menu-thingy by clicking "Topic Options" (Where'd you get this UI? Squeak? Jakob Nielsen would wring your necks)
- Check off "Bookmark"
- Click "Topic Options" again to dismiss the pulldown-popup-menu-thingy.
Shouldn't it be:
1. Trigger a standard-behaving pulldown menu or flyout or modal popup
2. Click "Bookmark" and the pulldown, flyout, or popup magically disappears to whence it came