HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What's your latest food project? Get great advice
TELL US

mold on walnuts shells

l
lemec Oct 14, 2006 03:31 AM

Location Greater Vancouver. I picked walnuts, don't what kind but the shells can be broken by hand (not black walnuts). Removed the green shell when cracked. Some green shells went black. Some nuts were picked off the ground, some off the tree. After a week some nuts without the green shell got mold. My wife says don't eat them, I say I'm french and we eat blue cheese.
Is that mold poisonous?
Deas anyone know what kind of walnut this could be? Thanks.

  1. jfood Oct 15, 2006 03:25 AM

    I am not sure if you get Imus in the Morning on the radio but, "Are you Nuts?" There is absolutely no way I would take the chance and eat these moldy things. They were picked off the ground with who knows what, and grow mold and you want to eat them Please No.

    1. toodie jane Oct 14, 2006 10:15 PM

      By "green shell" do you mean the husk? Sometimes the husk has been stung by a tiny husk fly during the growing season, and it will turn black and stick inconveniently to the walnut shell at harvest time in the fall.

      (You've got English walnuts; there are many commercial and home garden named varieties--Franquette, Hartley, Serr, Payne, etc. Here is a link for more info. Follow the link to the Calif Ag Extension site for a photo album about walnut growth stages.

      http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_t...

      )

      The husks should be removed when they start to split open if still on the nut. Old garden gloves and strong hands will make fast work of the removal. In walnut country, the nuts are spread in the yard on wooden or screen trays to dry after being husked. Good air circulation is a must and late fall rains are a bother. Keep them dry as possible. When thoroughly dry, store in burlap sacks in a garage or shed. You can freeze the in-shell or shelled nuts sucessfully to foil insects and keep the oils fresh.

      1. Pollo Oct 14, 2006 04:25 PM

        When you get "fresh" walnuts or hazelnuts you should spread them on baking sheets or even newspapers and place then in a dry place so that they will loose some moisture. All walnuts have mold on them and that mold will grow if there is enough moisture.

        1. rworange Oct 14, 2006 04:00 AM

          Well, they will kill a dog. The canine symptons are: "vomiting ... trembling, drooling, lack of coordination & seizures."
          http://www.northbay-canine.org/coldwet-txt.htm#Poisonous

          Most moldy nuts aren't that healthy for humans either:
          http://www.foodsafetysite.com/consume...

          There's good mold and bad mold. This is bad mold that is likely to have mycotoxins and aflatoxins.

          1 Reply
          1. re: rworange
            amandine Oct 15, 2006 05:08 PM

            FYI aflatoxin exposure is highly correlated with liver cancer.

            I really recommend against being cavalier when it comes to mold. Sure, we all love blue cheese, penicillin, and button mushrooms, and I once ate a blue tortilla and lived to tell the tale... but it's best to be really careful, especially since we have so much information at our disposal. No need for trial and error! :)

          Show Hidden Posts