Vegetarian Friend from Out of Town
Recommendations appreciated for group of five, one of whom is a vegetarian. No Indian food, but open to everything else. Thanks in advance.
Grand Sichuan has some excellent vegetable dishes that don't have meat in them. Nowadays, I'm most familiar with the St. Marks location, where I've enjoyed the following vegetable/vegetarian dishes:
19. Sichuan Cold Noodle * (This is meatless and I believe it would be OK for a vegetarian)
31. Spinach with ginger sauce
32. Cold Broad Beans
33. Cold Cucumber with Scallion Sauce
104. Shredded Potatoes with vinegar sauce
105. Braised Pumpkin with Ginger & Scallions
110. Sweet Red Date & Lotus Seeds
131. Steamed Turnip with Cut spicy pepper
148. Sweet & Sour Sliced Lotus Root (sour and spicy and not at all like the junk with the gloppy sweet red sauce you can get in umpteen million takeout joints throughout the country)
151. Sauteed Spinach or with fresh garlic
154. Sauteed Sweet Potatoes with Ginger & Scallion
156. Sauteed Diced Hollow Steam Vegetables (seasonal) *
157. Sauteed Cucumber with Black Mushrooms (truly excellent!)
There are other vegetable dishes that don't have any meat in them, but these are all dishes I've had in the past few months and recommend.
Gobo is really good for vegetarian fare- very flavorful-- the best deal is their lunch specials or their delivery menu-- unfortunately if you eat in-- dinner is on the expensive side. another place is wild ginger (broome st.) -- equally as flavorful and a little cheaper for dinner. Both places have excellent seitan skewer dishes. Both do interesting things in Pan-Asian Vegetarian World.
it's ok, not thrilling. super fast deliverers though.
i recommend Lan on 6th st btw 1st and 2nd aves. it's new. it's vegan. it's vietnamese. not fancy.
also, klong, the thai place on st. marks has lots of fake meat dishes. they also have meatatarian food for the carnivores among you.