Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
Oct 7, 2006 06:43 AM

After an Italian meal . . .

Many Italians partake of a powder that is poured into a glass of water and acts as an antacid. That use it at the end of one of those huge Italian family meals that makes you swell up like an overstuffed pumpkin.

It makes you burp.

It is like Bromo-Seltzer, but that's not the name. The name escapes me and it is literally driving me crazy beause I cannot remember it.

Please help. It is -- pardon the pun -- right on the tip of my tounge.




  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: Cheese Boy

      Yep. Brioschi. You can get it at most italian delis. And, btw, it really works - if you don't mind expelling a huge burp in front of others.

        1. re: Bob Mervine

          I think Bromo-seltzer in the granules is better.

    2. OMG, I thought my cousins (Taiwanese) were the only ones who travelled with those in their purses. They used to give me some and then make me eat more. Of course, theirs was a Chinese version called "wei san" (generic name for antacid) with a slightly menthol flavor. Nice to know I'll be able to find some Brioschi and return the favor one day.