Sunshine Thai-Suggestions? North Hollywood
This past Saturday's "Good Food" broadcast on Public Radio had a feature segment entitled something like "Chef Jet Tila's Top 10 Thai Restaurants of LA." His #2 spot was Sunshine Thai on Sherman Way in North Hollywood. I think he mentioned a rice dish that was do-it-yourself; you were given the rice and several surrounding small dishes of various items which you could mix to your specs into the rice to create your own concoction.
This sounded really good...does anyone else remember the details?
Thank you, jettila! We are working our way down YOUR list! We enjoyed Yai; we had a rice noodle dish that was really delicious! We also order the fish with the green apple "salsa;" I liked the contrast of the chilled, crunchy, spicy-sweet salsa with the hot, crispy fish.
Next we will try Sunshine and I am looking forward to the Kow Kook Kapi that you have discovered there.
Upon your recommendation and further information (armed with the proper name: kow kook kapi!), we dined at Sunshine last night. It was about 6:30pm on a Saturday night, and they were doing a good dinner business.
We ordered as you had suggested: the golden fish with mango chutney, the kow kook kapi, and the fresh spring rolls (not fried). Everything was delicious, and the service was very attentive and warmly friendly. The chef's daughter was having dinner with her friend next to us, and she was delightfully watching us enjoy her mom's cooking! We visited throughout the evening and she generously offered her commentary as we tasted new items.
We recently enjoyed our dinner at Yai, your #1 Thai Restaurant pick, but I think Sunshine was even better! It was such a fun dining adventure because there were many tastes and combinations of tastes that were new to us, especially in the spring roll which was different from what we have ever had.
We thank you for steering us to this wonderful find!
13212 Sherman Way
sunshine is 1-2 blocks west of krua thai on sherman way, south side of the street (same side as krua thai).
- the golden fish w/ mango chutney (i think that's what it's called).
- the special pork spare ribs (i forget what they call it in english but it's one of the pictured items on the menu). eat with an order of sticky rice.
- shrimp paste fried rice. just delicious. eat w/ chicken stir fried w/ basil leaves.
- fresh spring rolls. they are not fried and are served at room temp w/ a gravy on top.
- fried mussels. it's fried kind of like an omelette w/ flour, egg and mussels.
- bbq pork on rice. it's got chinese sausage and roast pork also, and is served in a sweet sauce.
- kang pa (jungle curry) w/ fish filet or whatever meat you like.
a lot of their other dishes are very good also- the ones above are the ones that aren't found everywhere else or are especially good at sunshine.