favorite baked apple recipe
Apple season has arrived! What is your favorite, simple baked apple recipe?
I peel and core and then fill the core with brown sugar, maple syrup, butter and spices (Cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, mace and cardamom) I prefer Penzey's baking spice mixture myself.
Bake in a glass or Teflon pan at 375F and then lower it to 350 after 10 minutes. They are done when you can insert a paring knife with very little resistance. You can thicken the pan juices with cornstarch and serve as a sauce, but you may need to add more brown sugar or maple syrup.
1. Peel and Core
2. Mix oatmeal cookie mix, spices(nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice), butter, brown sugar
3. Stuff mixture in apple core and some on top
4. Bake 350 for 30-45 min. (until soft)
soak some raisins in dark rum overnight. mix the raisins with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts & stuff into coreed apples (I like to leave the skin on). place in a buttered baking pan with a little water in the bottom and bake until desired softness. pour a little fresh cream over each apple to serve.
Really, really simple. Low cal and no fat. I always use the slightly bruised or tired apples at the bottom of the fruit drawer: the ones no one really wants to eat out-of-hand:
Developed when my kids were toddlers:
1. Peel about 1/4 of the apple from the top down.
2. Core with point of peeler or paring knife.
3. Drop a few raisins into the hole.
4. Fill hole with orange juice.
5. Place apples in deep baking container with lid-like a Corning-Ware baker. Pour in a few extra Tbs. of o.j.
6. Toss in micro-wave and nuke for 3-5 minutes. More time if necessary to get to degree of softness you want.
7. Put each apple in a glass custard cup, pour juice remaining in baking pan over the tops, and serve.
Yum! Comfort food in 5 minutes!