Windows Mobile 5
I've had problems browsing Chowhound with Windows Mobile 5 (built-in IE browser) from day one, but the collapsible outline has made it a lot worse, since the expand icons and Expand All buttons are among the many that don't work. Clicking does nothing, no action, no error.
The "advanced" search link is also dead.
The Post New Topic and Post My Reply buttons don't appear at all.
Chowhound's really a natural for mobile devices, shame it's not more usable.
WM5 support has some steps forward and some back with the makeover.
- the Boards down arrow that's supposed to bring up the board menu doesn't work (workaround: search, or email the URL for any board I want to access to myself and copy it into the browser)
- I can now reply using the Post a Reply dialog, though after I post I end up on a blank page
- the Reply link for individual posts is dead
- search is now way up in the upper right corner, works but it's even more a pain to get to
- search works if I start it by pressing Enter, fails if I click the Search button
- in general, information is shifted farther to the right
- loading times are significantly slower (due to more and bigger images?)
Would be a lot easier to read if topics would wrap to the screen (not a new problem, though).
The m.chow.com mobile UI for CHOW recipes works fine, but why would I need to access those from my phone? It's the restaurant info that I really want.
That's what I've been waiting for. I often find myself on the go in surprise locations and don't have the luxury of being able to print out a chowhound-approved list of restaurants before-hand. I'd love to be able to just fire up chowhound, do an appropriate search and find a place.
I can't wait for the local wikis, which would be even more helpful since it would do all of my queries for me. ;D
There isn't currently a mobile version of Chowhound. m.chow.com will take you to the mobile version of CHOW, but the Chowhound side mobilization (I know, that's not really the right word in this context, but it fits so well!) isn't complete yet.
-- Jacquilynne, Community Manager for Chowhound