HOME > Chowhound > Wine >


searching for cheaper versions of wine glasses

  • 9

I'm looking for wine glasses that look like these, the small goblet preferably.


only not $42/stem. Is there a specific name for these types of goblets? Crate and Barrel have had similar ones on the past but they're usually too big.

Normally I might not balk at the price when finally finding the glasses I've been looking for almost 10 years but at that price I'd either lock them up and never use them or be depressed for months when I broke one.


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Have you checked horchow.com? Similar stuff but not exact. It's a high-end site, but the stemware is still a little cheaper than $42 a glass.

    1. LisaLou, Check with your local restaurant supply house. If they don't have a design that you like in stock, they can order from a catalog. You will need to purchase a case of stemware, but the cost for an entire case will probably be less than $75.00. The best part of commercial glassware is its durability. Unlike the cheap stemware found at Target or expensive stemware at Macy's, commercial glass is designed for hard use without easily being broken.

      1. You might also want to try Cost Plus World Market. They have a very decent selection of glassware at reasonable prices.

        2 Replies
        1. re: JK Grence the Cosmic Jester

          I was about to suggest that too. They would be more likely to have that more casual, old world look of the goblets you linked. If you're a bargain hunter you'll want to scour your local Ross/Marshall's/TJMaxx/Tuesdan Mornings, etc.

          1. re: Pei

            Also try Home goods which is the high end store of Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Good luck and let us know if you find them.

        2. Thank you for your help! Cost Plus appears to have something very clost and I can get 4 for a little over half the price of one of the Juliska's


          I'm going to take a look at restaurant supply places as well. Thank you for your help!

          1. I have to say I wouldn't use any of the glasses in that picture. Flutes should come down to a single point in order to help the bubbles form and surface - that's the whole point of flutes anyway, they're not about the flavor, they're about the bubbles.

            The other glasses in that picture are water glasses, not wine glasses. Wine glasses should be round and smaller at the top to hold in the bouquet of a wine, and those won't do it. If you tried to swirl a wine in those glasses you'd be wearing it.

            2 Replies
            1. re: Chris Weber

              I realize the glasses are not ideal for the modern wine connoisseur. However, I've longed for glasses that come to a point like that without a long stem since I had wine in some like it when I was in Prague and since I saw, "Tous Les Matin du Monde" where the main character drinks wine from a glass very much like it. They felt very good in the hand and were a pleasure to drink wine out of. If I feel a wine will really need to be swirled or get air into it to open the bouquet I usually bring out a carafe.

              I'm sure you'd probably disapprove of my preferred champagne glass as well. They're vintage champagne cups shaped like Marie Antoinette's breasts (well allegedly anyway).

              1. re: LisaLou

                Those Marie Antoinette Champagne glasses are called "coupes". They hold in neither the bouquet nor the bubbles. They don't hold the wine in very well either.

                But, hey, it's your bubbly. You do get style points for being an impractical romantic and a Depardieu fan. :-)

                To find the glassware you fancy try a cheap place. Around here that's TJ Maxx, but other places that sell Eastern European glassware will sometimes have glasses shaped like that. I've seen 'em.