Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Sep 15, 2006 06:26 AM

Name the Cookie

On his wonderful blog, Mark Evanier asks the immortal question: Does this cookie have a name? Darned if I know.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Well, those are rainbow nonpareils; that is the proper name for them in baking land. It just looks like a sugar cookie coated with rainbow nonpareils.I do wonder if sanding sugar is also used underneath the nonpareils, because there looks to be a coat of melted sugar beneath them.

    Nonpareils, sanding sugar and jimmies (or sprinkles) are all different things.

    3 Replies
    1. re: Karl S

      Karl, people typically use a paste consisting of confectioners sugar and water to help the rainbow nonpareils adhere to the sugar cookie. No sanding sugar is used. That's also why the color of the nonpareils bleed a tiny bit if you look closely.

      1. re: Cheese Boy

        Ah. Thanks. I've been using them for years, but didn't know that trick! Memo for Christmas gebeckenes....

        1. re: Karl S

          Just a word of caution. The confectioners paste is placed on a fully cooked cookie, the nonpareils are sprinkled on, and the cookie is left out to dry. No further cooking is required. The paste hardens (white) and maintains its sweet taste.

    2. Thanks. I'll call my pals at the American Institute of Baking to confirm.

      1. Those little sugar balls are also called "hundreds and thousands" when used on Italian cookies. That's what those look like to me.

        1 Reply
        1. I think I've always seen it in supermarkets under the following inspired name: "butter cookies with sprinkles"

          1. Wouldn't it be considered a 'confetti cookie'? Sort of like the cake...?


            2 Replies
            1. re: andlulu

              not sure... i think if the sprinkles were baked inside the cookie it would be analogous to the confetti cake, don't you think?

              1. re: amandine

                I like confetti cookie... I'm sticking w/ it.