This is one of my favorite kugel recipes. It has raisins (and other dried fruit) but you could easily skip them. No cream cheese here ... though I guess cottage cheese and yogurt aren't too far off (but you could use the lower percentages--I always do).
From Joan Nathan's Jewish Cooking in America:
Noodle Kugel Served at the American Embassy in Rome
1/2 lb broad noodles
2 c cottage cheese
2 c milk
1/3 c butter or margerine, melted
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c plus 2 Tbs sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp salt
1 c sour cream or yogurt
1/4 c raisins
1/4 c dried apricots or other dried fruit
1/4 slivered almonds
1. Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package and drain.
2. Combine the cottage cheese, milk, butter/margerine, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 c sugar, eggs, salt, sour cream/yogurt, raisins, and apricots. Fold in the noodles.
3. Place in a greased 9 x 12-inch casserole.
4. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp of cinnamon and 2 Tbs sugar. Cover with almonds.
5. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 min. to 1 hour, or until firm. Serve as a side dish with a fish or dairy meal or as a dessert.