L.A. County Fair Recommendations
Probably going this week. What have U folks had @ the County Fair over the years. What would U recommend & what would you stay away from.
Last year, for the first time ever in my life, I had a BBQ Turkey Leg. Never again, what a dissapointment. The whole leg was like rubber, tasteless. What's the fascination with the turkey leg, it's a best seller, but did I just have a bad one or what?
Throughout the day I had a BBQ Tri-TIP Sandwich ok. Had the fried avocado, yuck. Had the corn dog, not bad. Also had an Italian Sausage Sandwich, not bad. Also had the fried twinkie, and the fried Oreo. I actually like them both. I think that was probably the best out of everythin I had that day..
Can't speak to the turkey leg, although, it looked really good...
Here's a recent link with fair related info:
I went on opening day and had the Krispy Kreme Fried Chicken Sandwich... really good stuff! I also really liked the BBQ pulled pork.
Most food vendors will give you a small sample of their stuff (like the BBQ places) -- helps at figuring out which ones are worth eating! (Had some really gross BBQ Turkey)
Yeah, pretty much. Take a Krispy Kreme, split it in half, put a fried chicken patty in it, a slice of cheese and voila! They serve it with a packet of honey... I didn't use it, but I think you should (for the whole effect). Except for the sugar in the donut and the 'fried' patty, I don't think it's any "worse" than other things at the fair. (the portion size isn't that big)....
Hi Ollie... I had (also for the first time) a BBQ'd turkey leg, but at the Renaissance Faire earlier in the summer. I too was initially cautious, but the leg turned out to be markedly tasty and smokey and tender. I was expecting rubber, but was pleasantly surprised at the moist texture, nearly falling off the bone from the heft of the soft flesh. So apparently, these turkey legs _can_ be done well. Pity that it wasn't the case with the one you sampled. Give it a try elsewhere, sometime...
I had a heart-stopping feast @ LA County Fair this past weekend. All the foods I had were good or at least interesting and worth one try. They include:
1) Fried Avocado & Fried Tomatoes (I didn't think the avocados were that yucky, it was "interesting")
2) Tasti-chips, fresh from the fryer! (they don't even bother draining, so there's a puddle of oil at bottom of my paper boat-- but the chips were good) - with jalapeno cheese sauce
3) Curly Fries, also fresh from fryer
4) Onion Blossom (I know, you can get it at Chili's, but I don't care much for that restaurant anyways)
5) Apple Fries (dusted with cinnamon & sugar, with whipped cream on the side)
6) Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob with Butter
7) The Krispy Kreme Chicken Sandwich - another interesting thing that I'll probably never eat again, if only because of the caloric/fat/sugar content!
8) Funnel Cake
9) Fried Oreos / Twinkies / Snicker Bars
My husband and I went to the fair yesterday and had some good (not necessarily good for you) chow. The best...
1. Apple Fries w/ Whipped Cream - located in front of race track. they are not too heavily battered and absolutely delicious. Get a fork!
2. Roasted Turkey Leg @ Big Bubba's - located in front of race track. We took this one home and it travelled well. Tasty and not bad for you!
3. Deep Fried Artichoke Hearts @ Jeannes - located on Broadway Street. Yes it was fried - no it wasn't too greasy. A very tasty treat to eat!
4. Cinnamon Buns @ Old West - located by farm area in back by craft area. We took this home too. We shared everything including this yummy desert. It would be WAY too big to eat by oneself at one sitting. My gosh that was good, sweet, buttery and memorable.
5. Fresh lemonade - located throughout the park. Very good especially when watered down with a cup of free Sparkletts water (located in front of race track).
All in all a fun day at the LA County Fair. If you go during the day, make sure to take your decadent treats under the huge pine trees by the bandstand and hear good music while eating in the shade. Have fun!