grand sichuan favorites for midtown west branch?
i recently moved near the midtown west grand sichuan, and i love it. my favorites so far have been (in no particular order) dan dan noodles, spicy double cooked pork, beef filets with chili sauce, prawns with garlic sauce, and salt & pepper shrimp. but, of course, the expansive menu has lots of other awesome sounding stuff as well.
The fresh young chicken with schezuan peppercorns (I forget the name of the dish)
the peppercorns blew me away the first time I tried them, not your typical 'spicy' flavor.
under maos favorites is a dish of teent tiny minced pork with chives and chilis and something tart. fiery hot but impossible to stop eating.
Here are some of my favorites from their menupages.com menu:
28. Sichuan Wonton W. Red Oil *
29. Sichuan Cold Noodle or Not Spicy *
30. Dan Dan Noodle W. Chili Sauce. *
34. Ox Tongue & Tripe * W. Hot & Pepper Sauce.
35. beef tripe * W. Hot & Pepper Sauce
36. Five Spiced Beef
37. Beef * W. Hot & Wild Pepper Sauce
38. Beef Tendon * W. Hot & Pepper Sauce
47. Jelly Fish W. Scallion Oil
48. Preserved Trunip Sichuan Style *
50. Cucumber W. Fresh Garlic
68. Kung Bao Chicken *
Any of the Sichuan- or Hunan-style whole fish dishes
115. House Bean Curd W. Spicy Sauce * (Mapo Doufu)
120. Gui Zhou Spicy Chicken *
121. Crispy Quail (small bones, though)
149. Cellophane Noodle W. Minced Pork *
183. Spicy and Sour Squid *
The lack of inclusion in this list should not be construed as to imply a disrecommendation. I eat at the St. Marks location most often nowadays, and have left out some of my favorite dishes there, because it's been too long since I've had them at the Midtown location. One example:
175. Sauteed Shredded Pumpkin and Spiy Green Pepper. *
In addition to liking many of the dishes named, I also like the eel.....I forget the name of the dish. Unfortunately, they don't have it at tne Chelsea branch near where I work