HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >

The morel mushroom fairy left me a present!

The Dairy Queen Sep 3, 2006 02:30 PM

When I went outside to snag my paper this morning, I noticed a morel mushroom growing next to an old oak barrel I use as a planter. It's Labor Day weekend and yet, this confused little mushroom thinks it's spring. We had some heavy rains last night and the temps have hovered in the mid-70's the last week or so. This part of my yard is heavily shaded.

Unfortunately, my nemesis, the squirrel, beat me to it and nipped the top off the mushroom. So, no morels in my breakfast omelet.

Can somehow I dig the mushroom up and shake out the spores to encourage the growth of more of them? How do I do that?

~TDQ

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. JMF RE: The Dairy Queen Sep 4, 2006 03:00 AM

    I would just leave it and let it grow and die. Hopefully it will produce enough spores and they will grow right there in a place they find fruitful.

    1. jillp RE: The Dairy Queen Sep 4, 2006 02:56 PM

      TDQ, if casting the spores from morels caused them to grow, I'd be tripping over the things all the time. When we hunt 'shrooms in the spring we always use mesh bags to let the spores fall through as we move through the woods. We pour the cleaning water (the unsalted water from the first rinsing)under the apple tree by the house. We throw the mushroom crumbs out there, too. We've done everything except set up a trust fund for them, and all to no avail.

      4 Replies
      1. re: jillp
        a
        Akatonbo RE: jillp Sep 5, 2006 02:55 PM

        I am certainly not a mushroom expert, but I'm pretty sure that the spores have to mature before they'll do any good growth-wise - at which point you probably wouldn't want to eat the mushroom (as, for instance, with the ink cap mushroom - the cap dissolves in order to release the spores). This is probably why none of your morel-proagating methods have worked - the spores are not mature when you pick the mushrooms. Since spores are contained in the "fruiting body" - the part we eat - digging up the roots would do no good, and just destroy the fungus.

        If there was a morel under the OP's tree, it's an indication that there's a fungus there. Come spring she may see more of them.

        1. re: Akatonbo
          jillp RE: Akatonbo Sep 5, 2006 07:46 PM

          Oh, cutting the roots is a major violation of the Morel Hunter's Code, or at least it is in our woods.

          1. re: jillp
            The Dairy Queen RE: jillp Sep 7, 2006 09:41 PM

            Oh, I wouldn't want to violate any chow'ish codes!

            In the meantime, my morel has collapsed on itself and seems to be returning to the earth from whence it came. Hopefully, this will cause the next generation of morels to "spring" up in this same spot next spring.

            Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. jillp, your comment about doing "everything for them but set up a trust fund" still has me laughing.

            ~TDQ

          2. re: Akatonbo
            n
            Nyleve RE: Akatonbo Oct 9, 2006 03:11 PM

            I don't think you're quite right about the mushroom spores not being mature until the mushroom disintegrates into the ground. When using spore prints to identify an unknown mushroom, you place the cap on a piece of paper and allow the spores to be deposited there to determine the colour. Why would the spores be dropping out unless they were ready to "root" so to speak? Being so light, they float through the air like dust, and land wherever they want. I'm not sure what the growth process is for mushroom spores, but I think that once they've settled somewhere they're ready to start growing.

        2. b
          butterfly RE: The Dairy Queen Sep 5, 2006 02:34 PM

          Yikes--I grew up in prime morel hunting territory and never once saw one outside of its spring season.

          Sounds like your chowhounding has been emanating out to the squirrels....

          1. u
            uman RE: The Dairy Queen Sep 6, 2006 03:31 PM

            I love morels but this past spring I bought some and when I soaked them to clean them a million little white worms came out of them. I have not eaten one since and am afraid I've been put off them for good.

            1. s
              sjdean RE: The Dairy Queen Oct 9, 2006 12:28 AM

              Check out this link for growing your own morels. http://www.thefarm.org/mushroom/morel...

              Show Hidden Posts