what to do with a bottle of white zin???
No, I did not buy it. Hosted book group and one of the attendees brought it. Can't stand the stuff (reminds me of when I was 16!) but I thought there might be some punch recipe or something I could do with it like a spritzer. I hate waste . . . thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Home-made white zin Strawberry Jello. I'm eating a variation of that now.
The wine just adds color and the strawberry flavor takes over. I love this stuff, it brings out the juiciness of the berries and is just lucious.
Here's a link to a version I did with white Merlot. Wine variety doesn't matter too much, actually the less expensive the better since going pricy doesn't add a thing.
I've played around with this alot and have it down to the simplest version:
1 pint of strawberries, quartered
1 cup white zin
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup apple juice ... the boxed type
1 packet of Knox gelatin
1. Combine wine and sugar and bring to a boil
2. Add strawberries and simmer 5 minutes
3. In a heat proof bowl or pot, combine apple juice and water, then sprinkle with gelatin and let sit 5 minutes
4. Add hot strawberry mixture to apple juice/gelatin
5. Stir and cool on the counter (about 1 hour
)6. Put in cups (I use tupperware) and chill about 2 hours
Lasts a week and can be frozen for a sorbet/granita like texture.
I orgininally followed a Martha Stewart recipe and didn't need to get so fussy. She calls for cooling the mixture in an ice bath.
I made the exact same recipe using an ice bath and one that was just left on the counter. They turned out identically.
- The original comment has been removed