Inexpensive lunch spots near 9th Ave & 57th St.
Hey fellow Chowhounders,
Can anyone please recommend some great lunch spots near 9th Ave & 57 St? I'm willing to travel for 10 blocks or so. I'm open to any cuisine, except Chinese; budgetary restrictions will be under $10. You may also name some places that have good snacks (e.g. bread, desserts, pastries, etc.). Thanks in advance!
If you're willing to spend a few more bucks, Grand Sichuan and Afghan Kebab House are both great.
Ordering at Afghan Kebab house is pretty straightforward, but you'd be smart to research the best bets at Grand Sichuan. Ahzou Chicken, any other fresh chicken dish, double cooked spicy pork (the lean cut is still relatively fatty, the fatty cut is exceptionally fatty), and sour string beans with pork are among the standouts at GS.
Empanada Mamma is a good spot.
Island burger ain't shit. Burger Joint is very tasty.
Del Valle is my choice over Tehuitzingo. The tortas are awesome and super cheap.
Cafe Azuri is the best falafel I've had in the city.
Old San Juan, Rice and Beans, El Deportivo for Latin American food.
- Wondee Siam for Thai (52-53).. the small one here is better than the one between 53rd/54th
- Island Burgers, though be warned ahead of time, they don't have fries (51-52)
- Empanada Mama's - I'm not a huge fan, but a lot of people really like this place (51-52)
- Amish Market sells good soups, and you can get a sandwich too (49-50)
- Amy's Bread has good breads/desserts/pastries, a bit of a trek at (46-47)... also has some good sandwich options
And other places:
- Burger Joint @ Parker Merdian, 57th between 6th/7th
- Tehuitzingo 10th between 47th/48th - good, cheap tacos