Foods I can't live without from the Red Hook Fairway
1. Wallaby yogurt. God, these yogurts are so good and come in such unbelievable flavors - mango lime, orange passionfruit, even the lemon is devine.
2. Abba herring. Right accross from the smoked fish counter, I've tried all the variations and have concluded that the "traditional marinade" is my favorite. It's so good I can eat half of it right out of the jar before I even get to the table.
3. Fairway brand Kalamata olive oil. So tasty, such a good deal.
4. Local Red Jacket Orchards apricots. Better than any I've had and so freaking gorgeous to look at.
5. Jules Destrooper Butter Almond Cookies. Crispy, buttery and seven is the official serving!
6. I'm really not a prepared food person but the baked and breaded chicken cutlets with dried cranberries and pecans are totally addictive.
7. Elite Mulberry juice. Watered down a bit and over ice, ahhh.
8. Japanese "Spicy Sauce". You know that orange-ish mayo that all those spicy tuna rolls contain? I think it's so hilarious that Fairway sells it in little containers but I love it and I dip everything into it.
9. Recently, the lobster rolls on the cafe menu. No, it's not the best lobster roll in recorded history, but for nine bucks including olive oil chips and good cole slaw, sitting out back watching the boats go by, I am entirely happy.
10. Saba. Love it with gorgonzola and also chunks of parmigiano.
No one can talk cheese or slice smoked salmon like Blue Apron and so it shall always be for me, but my list of Fairway addictions is growing.
Anyone want to add on?
I too love the smoked salmon ends. I enjoyed the spicy cucumber yogurt soup, but as I hate spending money on prepared foods, have only gotten it once on a rave from my mom. Got some Bulgarian feta this week that was lovely. Whole red snapper last night which was lovely. And the usda prime steaks are great on the grill!
I went for the first time last week and was a bit underwhelmed, but I did pick up two house brand items that ended up being good values: the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (be sure to finish it a couple of days after opening it!) and a large bottle of pasta sauce (for $2.69).
Jumbo shrimp -- so tasty and fresh
fresh whole wheat linguine -- finally, a whole wheat pasta that doesn't taste like a compromise
The fresh, not-from-concentrate pomegranate juice that is always being sampled when you walk in - cheaper and scads better than Pom (which, who knew, is actually from concentrate)
The packaged sea salt and rosemary flat breads near the bakery section - wow.
1. Ben's cream cheese!!!!! You must try this.
2. Fairway smoked salmon "ends". $3.99/lb.
3. Fairway Grapeseed oil--$8.99 for a large bottle. Great price.
4. Mini-bagels--perfect size. See number 1 and number 2.
5. Ground Bison--makes awesome and healthy burgers
6. SO swears by the oxtail and stuffed cabbage on the hot bar.
(I haven't had it yet...)
I am sure there is more--but that's a start...