There are several good restaurants in Kingston. I'd recommend the following:
- East Japanese Restaurant and Cafe Aubergine in the Marketplace shopping center on Constant Spring Road just south of Dunrobin. East has surprisingly good sushi. Cafe Aubergine is not as unique a location as the original branch in Moneague, but it has a nice French-influenced menu. Both should cost about J$1500 per person for dinner. Habibi Latino and China Express, in the same complex, are not recommended.
- White Bones Seafood Restaurant, located at Mary Brown's Corner, Constant Spring Rd. & Mannings Hill Road. This is a relatively new place, which has a nice variety of seafood. There service can be a bit spotty, but the food is tasty. Should be about J$1500 per person.
- Starapples, on Hope Rd. between the Bob Marley Museum and Sovereign Centre. This is our favourite place for Jamaican food in Kingston. It is in an old house, so there is a nice atmosphere. The food is inexpensive for Kingston and of high quality. Probably the best place in Kingston for Jamaican favorites like curried goat, vegetable rundown, aloo & channa, and oxtail stew. Most entrees are J$500-600.
- Chelsea Jerk Centre on Chelsea Avenue between Half Way Tree Rd. and Dominica Drive. This fast food-type establishment has some of the best jerk in Kingston and is served in a very clean restaurant. It's best for take-away. The jerk chicken and jerk pork are both very good, and the potato wedges are also tasty.
- Ashanti Vegetarian restaurant in Hope Gardens. This is located in the middle of the gardens and is only open for lunch. It serves excellent vegetarian cuisine.
- Prendy's Hellshire Fish at the Putt 'n Play Miniature Golf Course across the street from the Jamaica Pegasus and just north of Emancipation Park has the same fried fish that you can get at Hellshire Beach without going all the way out there. The fried parrotfish, lobster and bammies are all excellent. Only open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 6pm.
- Pushpa's Indian Restaurant has the best Indian food in Kingston, although it is not up to the standards of the US or the UK. It is located at the end of Northside Drive, the street with all of the Chinese restaurants just off Old Hope Rd. east of Matilda's Corner (Old Hope Rd., Barbican Rd. and Hope Rd. intersection.) Best for take out, as the "dining room" is very small.
- There are several good Chinese restaurants in Kingston, although Dragon Court, Bamboo Village and Jade Garden are the best. Dragon Court is located on South Avenue between Waterloo and Constant Spring- it's closer to Constant Spring than Gaucho's. Bamboo Village is just south of South Avenue on Constant Spring. Jade Garden is in Sovereign Centre at Matilda's Corner. Bamboo Village and Dragon Court are of similar quality and price (most entrees J$600-800), and both have dim sum on Sundays between 10 am and 2pm. Jade Garden is more expensive (most entrees J$1000-1200) but is better quality.