Seven Oakville favourites...maybe worth a stop.
Hi, everyone. As an Oakvillian, here are a few great local favourites. If you're passing through, might be worth a stop:
1. The smoked salmon sandwich at Stoney's Bread Company on Kerr Street. This place has been very favourably reviewed; this sandwich is truly outstanding.
2. Benny's Deli, also on Kerr (just north of Speers, in the same plaza as Canadian Tire). Benny's make a very good donair on pita, a more-than-passable omelette and nice, hand cut, non-greasy fries. A really good diner.
3. Kori's roti. Again, this place is not a secret but their cuttlefish roti is. For me, it begins and ends with their "Sucide cuttle" and "Suicide conch." Be smart and call ahead to avoid the line. Always fresh, always friendly, always worth a visit to Kori's.
4. Colborne Street Deli. It's on Lakeshore, downtown, south side of the street, right near the intersection of Lakeshore and George. They make a very nice turkey sandwich and tasty desserts.
5. Red Chillie (the one on Nottinghill Gate). This is savoury, authentic Chinese food. Always hot and always fresh. A great Young Tom Gong soup and outstanding moo shui. Thye listen is you say "low salt and easy on the oil," which is a rarity among Chinese restaurants.
6. The pizza slices at Whole Foods (Cornwall and Trafalgar). I realize that Whole Foods is anything but a well-kept secret, but their pizza slices are worth mentioning, and the whole pies, at around $12.00, are reasonable. The plain cheese is outstanding - a nice blend of cheeses...comes together well.
7. Oisi Sushi (Cross Street, across from the GO station). Oisi makes an excellen chirashi (sashimi served on a bowl of rice) and a good miso. Their nigri sushi unagi is the best in Oakville (admittedly, this isn't saying much).