Favorite tableside (and free) condiment?
- ipsedixit Jul 20, 2006 09:29 PM
What's your favorite condiment that restaurants provide gratis (and I'm not talking about regular Heinz ketchup or mustard and the like).
Here's mine (in no particular order):
1. Hot Mustard (Philippe's)
2. Diced/preserved mustard greens (Ding's Garden)
3. Chili sauce (Dragon Mark)
4. House black vinegar (Triumphal Palace)
*I would include the free kimchi at Dumpling House on this list, but to label kimchi a "condiment" would be a true injustice to all things pickled ...
In No particular Order:
1. Mint Chutney (Akbar's - not always consistent quality)
2. Green Chili Paste (Sunnin - They keep it hidden behind the counter and you have KNOW to ask for it)
3. Yuzu Chili Paste (Matsuhisa - They don't make it themselves, so any other Sushi bar that carries a good brand).
4. Chili Garlic Sause (Tuong Ot Toi Viet-nam @ Any Vietnamese restaurant)
5. 3 Items from the Condiment Bar at The Falafel King, when they are THICK and NOT watred down,in Westwood.
a) Tahini Sauce - Best Thick & Creamy but too often watered down.
b) Dark Red/Orange Chili Paste - Too often watered down.
c) Green Paste (similar to Sunnin's) - Always the same thickines.
6. Coleman's Hot English Mustard (any English Pub)
There, was that too many?
BTW, if by saying Cheers you're suggesting I go comsume some dark ale and root for the Angels to break out of their 1 game losing streak, I think that's a very wise suggestion I will follow though on!
I crave the hot sauce at Falafel King in Westwood.
Not just the heat, the flavor is something I literally get cravings for. I order food there just to have something to cover in hot sauce.
I also crave the vegetable chutney at Akbar. It's little carrots and corn and green veggies cut so small they are like the frozen veggies you buy in a bag. But they are covered in a hot sauce that really burns. I can eat a whole jar on the naan.